Report: MLB to Suspend Players Connected with Biogenesis

Melky - Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

ESPN is reporting that the MLB is preparing to suspend players implicated in the Biogenesis scandal.

Major League Baseball will seek to suspend about 20 players connected to the Miami-area clinic at the heart of an ongoing performance-enhancing drug scandal, including Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun, possibly within the next few weeks, "Outside the Lines" has learned. If the suspensions are upheld, the performance-enhancing drug scandal would be the largest in American sports history.

The post goes on to say that some of the players might be suspended for 100 games. MLB has been talking to Tony Bosch, the founder of Biogenesis to confirm which players were customers of his.

The one known Blue Jay on the list is Melky Cabrera. In his case, I'd imagine MLB would have to prove that last year's suspension, off a failed drug test, is a different case that this one. That might be hard to do. Others who might be facing suspension include Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun, Gio Gonzalez, Jesus Montero and Jhonny Peralta.

If Melky was to be suspended, I'm guessing we'd see a platoon of Anthony Gose and Rajai Davis in left field. Or maybe Moises Sierra would be called up.

Latest News