Blue Jays pick LHP Daniel Lietz #145 (5th round)

The Blue Jays selected 19-year-old left handed pitcher Daniel Lietz with the #145 pick (fifth round) out of Heartland Community College in Chicago Heights, Illinois. Lietz is 6'2" 175 pounds.

MLB.com had this to say about Lietz:

After going undrafted out of high school last year, Lietz jumped onto Draft boards this spring when he showed a sharp increase in fastball velocity. His fastball mostly sat in the mid-80s a year ago, but after spending a winter in the weight room, Leitz throws in the upper-80s to low-90s. He is listed at 6-foot-2, 200 pounds and scouts think he may have room to get even stronger. Lietz also throws a slider, changeup, splitter and curveball. His slider and changeup both have the potential to be Major League-average offerings. Lietz isn't afraid to pitch to contact with his fastball and has a good feel for pitching.

This is the fifth young pitcher taken in a row during this year's draft by the Blue Jays. I think they may have forgot the eight other positions on the field.