Blue Jays sign 2013 draftees Rowdy Tellez, Jake Brentz at eleventh hour

USA TODAY Sports

The Blue Jays had until 5 pm on Friday to sign their 2013 Rule 4 (Amateur) draftees, and the organization almost used all of their allowed time before announcing that they've signed 11th-rounder Jake Brentz and 30th-rounder Rowdy Tellez. Brentz cost the Jays $700,000 and Tellez was given $850,000. Baseball America's Jim Callis broke the news on Twitter:

The Blue Jays were not able to sign first-round draft pick Phil Bickford, who opted to go better himself with higher education at California State University--Fullerton. Good for him. I wonder when course selection begins?

Rowdy Tellez was ranked 59th best prospect in the draft, but was thought to be a tough sign, having committed to play for USC. The MLB profile on Tellez says that he is big and strong hitter. Jacob Brentz is a power lefty (always good thing to have) who can touch the upper-90s, according to his MLB.com profile.

Welcome to the Blue Jays, Messrs Brentz and Tellez!