Who's Up, Who's Down On the Blue Jays In the Last Two Weeks, July 1 to 14: Pitchers

Dustin McGowan. - USA TODAY Sports
That wasn't the most fun two weeks of my Blue Jay watching life, it has just been frustraiting. From July 1 to the 14th the Jays went 5-8. The pitchers, after posting a 2.91 ERA for July, put up a 4.78 ERA over the past two weeks. When we really could have used a good run up to the All-Star break, we didn't get it.

Pitchers

Arrow_around_3_medium

R.A. Dickey

Dickey's had 3 starts, won one, lost two and put up a 4.50 ERA. He had two ok starts and one bad start. See if you can pick out the bad start: Game one 7 innings, 6 hits, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts, 1 home run. Game two 7 innings, 7 hits, 2 walks,3 strikeouts, 1 home run. Game three 6 innings 6 hits, 3 walks, 7 strikeouts, 1 home run. The bad start was game two, he allowed 6 earned runs. The other games he allowed 2 and 3 earned runs. Batters hit .247/.326/.455 against him. I guess the one word that describes his season is inconsistent. This two week period pretty much matches his season.

Arrow_down_3

Mark Buehrle

Mark went 1-1 in two starts, 5.54 ERA. One was good, 7 innings, 6 hits, 0 walks, 0 earned, 5 k. One was awful, 6 innings, 9 hits, 0 walks, 8 earned, 4 strikeouts, 3 home runs. One thing that hurts his ERA is that Gibby leaves him out for his 6 innings no matter what. If he is getting clubbed, he still goes 6. Batters hit .278/.278/.481 against him.

Arrow_down_3

Esmil Rogers

Two starts, one awful (5 innings, 11 hits, 7 earned, 2 walks. 4 k), one good (6 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned, 3 walks, 7 k). Adds up to a 6.55 ERA. Batters hit .319/385/.383 against him.

Arrow_down_3

Chien-Ming Wang

But you tried to forget about him. He made the July 2nd start, went 1.2 innings, allowed 8 hits, 6 earned, 1 walk, 1 k, 1 home run. Now he is in Buffalo, fooling minor leaguers.

Arrow_down_3

Josh Johnson

3 starts. 1 good, 2 awful. In the good one, against Cleveland, he went 7 innings, allowed just 3 hits, 2 earned, walk 2, struck out 6. The other two games he allowed 13 runs (5 unearned) in 11 innings. Batters hit just .230/.278/.405 which makes it seem like he did good. He didn't.

Arrow_down_3

Casey
Janssen

Casey pitched in four games, we didn't get him a lot of save chances. In one of his save opportunities, a Munenori Kawasaki error cost him the save, though he wasn't pitching well, Steve Delabar came into pick up the save for him, so Casey now has 1 hold. The one save he had, in the two weeks, Delabar started the 9th, with us up by 4, and put two base runners on so Casey could get the save. Casey gave up 4 runs (1 unearned) in 2.2 inning. Batters hit .308/.471/.462 in those 2.2.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Steve Delabar

Pitched in 4 games. gave up 2 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk, 4 k in 3 innings. He got a save with 1 pitch. Batters hit .222/.273/.333 in 12 plate appearances. Kind of unfair, but he's set the standard pretty high, so he doesn't get an up arrow.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Aaron Loup

Aaron pitched in 6 games. He faced 23 batters, gave up just 4 hits, though 1 was a home run, 1 walk and 4 k for a .200/.261/.400 line and 3.00 ERA. He picked up a win. Could be an up arrow, but he's been so good, by his standards, this wasn't a good couple of weeks.

Arrow_down_3

Brett Cecil

Brett pitched in 5 games and really wasn't great, he gave up hits in each of his appearances and 3 earned in 5.1 innings. Had a blown save. Batters hit .304/.429/.478 and he had a 5.06 ERA. He's been so good, he's allowed a down period.

Arrow_down_3

Neil Wagner

Neil pitched in 5 games, totaling 4.2 innings. He gave up 6 hits, 1 home runs, 3 earned, 1 walk, with 7 k. Batters hit .333/.350/.556 against him. Still have to love 7 k in 4.2 innings.

Arrow_up_3

Darren Oliver

5 games, 6 innings, 2 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk, 7 k. Batters hit .100/.182/.200 against him. Seems to have hit his stride.

Arrow_up_3

Todd Redmond

3 starts. Couldn't expect much better out of him, 12 innings, 6 hits, 5 earned, 4 walks, 12 strikeouts, 3 home runs allowed. He went 1-0 with a 3.75 ERA. Batters hit .146/.255/.390 against him. Maybe it is because my expectations were so low, but he gets an up arrow. Now lets get someone else for his spot in the rotation.

Arrow_up_3

Juan Perez

He must be the most fun pitcher to watch on our team. Well, him or Dustin. He pitched 4.1, allowed just 1 hit and 1 walk, with 6 strikeouts. Batters hit .071/.133/.071 against him. I'd consider him the surprise of the season if it wasn't for....

Arrow_up_3

Dustin McGowan

Pitched 5 times, 5.1 innings, allowed just 1 hit and 1 walk. Stuck out 8. He had 2 holds, so Gibby is giving him higher leverage spots. I really could see him as closer, if Alex wanted to trade Casey. Batters hit .063/.118/.125 against him. I'm really happy for the guy, after all he has been through, he deserves this.