FanPost

Why I think Jay-Z will be good for baseball

Hey guys, while this isn't my first Fanpost, it is my first in article format. Let me know what you think, and feel free to disagree vehemently! (Also, suggestions on writing style/content would also be helpful)

Why I think Jay-Z will be good for Baseball

Two days ago, Robinson Cano, Sean Carter's first MLB client, reached a deal with Pepsi. I believe this says just as much about the future of Roc Nation's run as a sports agency as signing Cano in the first place.

Jay-Z, as most know, has had an extremely successful music career, both as a musician and as owner of Roc Nation. He is also an accomplished businessman, with investments in Rocawear, NBA 2K13, the 40/40 club, and the Brooklyn nets. (Thank you Wikipedia).

What this tells me, is that Jay-Z is an extremely well respected man in the entertainment industry, and is an extremely competent business person.

What does this have to do with baseball? Glad you asked. Baseball, and sports in general, is part of the entertainment industry. According to a recent Forbes article, the top 10 highest paid baseball players making $237 million in salary, compared to $14 million from endorsements. Compare this to over $40 million for Lebron James alone. I tried to do a search regarding the list of endorsement deals by sport, or the search of the highest endorsement deals. What I found was that in most of those lists, I have yet to see a baseball player anywhere near the top 10 or even 20.

In my opinion baseball players are not "sexy" enough for the mainstream entertainment media. Other than the escapades of A-Rod / Madonna, or the many gift baskets Jeter has given out, there isn't a lot of baseball entertainment. I believe this can and will change under the influence of Jay-Z.

Although Roc Nation Sports is just in its infancy, and the Cano Pepsi deal is the first, Jay-Z has set the blueprint(s) for future success. He has partnered with the very successful CAA sports agency to handle the actual baseball negotiations, and he has secured/rewarded his first superstar client with a global endorsement deal, which can have very real implications in free agency.

I believe the clients under Jay-Z, and the competition when they catch up, will retain larger and larger endorsement deals, and will also increase the publicity of MLB players in the mainstream. I for one hope he is successful at this.