Blue Jays' away uniform the worst in baseball in 2013

Juan Perez delivers a pitch wearing the Blue Jays road greys. - USA TODAY Sports

Alternate title: I think I've found the cause for the Blue Jays' problem this season.

One of the greatest new features about Chris Creamer's Sportslogos.net in 2013 is his catalogue of the uniform worn by each team for every game this season. In this blog post, he looked at the win-loss record for each individual uniform--which was exactly what I had planned to do after spending an hour compiling the records in Excel. Blast! But I shall proceed to present some of my findings anyway, from a Blue Jays' perspective.

While wearing their grey road uniforms, the Blue Jays have a pitiful 3-15 (.167) record, which is the worst record for a major league uniform this season which has been worn at least five times this season (the limit is there to eliminate special uniforms), tying them with the Houston Astros' batting practice set (1-5). The Toronto result is much more significant because a) .167 is much further away from Toronto's overall record of .479 (and even their road record of .417) than Houston's .351 mark, and b) the Blue Jays have played three times more often in that set and still managed to maintain the ridiculously low winning percentage.

In their home whites, the Jays are 13-12 (.520), while they have a 27-22 (.551) record in their blue alternates that they wear both at home and on the road. While wearing the alts on the road they are 17-13 (.567).

But what causes the Blue Jays' suckage while wearing the grey uniforms? The problem is apparent when we look at the averaged runs allowed and scored while wearing each of the three jerseys:

Uniform

Runs Allowed Per Game

Runs Scored Per Game

Home Whites

4.6

4.7

Blue Alternates

4.8

5.0

Road Greys

4.6

2.7

So it is clear that there is some substance embedded int he road uniforms--possibly by John Farrell--that somehow sucks offensive ability from Jays hitters. What do you think the Blue Jays should do about this problem going forward? Answer the poll below! They can certainly get rid of them--the Marlins have not worn their road greys all year.

Tops and Bottoms

Top 10 uniforms:

Uniform

W-L (%)

Braves Cream Alternate

11-1 (.917)

Red Sox Red Alternate

5-1 (.833)

Pirates Pullover Alternate

6-2 (.750)

Nationals’ Home Whites

21-8 (.724)

Mariners’ Green Alternate

9-4 (.692)

Rays’ Powder Blue Alternate

6-3 (.667)

Red Sox Home Whites

24-14 (.632)

Brewers’ Home Whites

12-7 (.632)

Cardinals’ Home Whites

22-13 (.629)

Cardinals White Alternate

5-3 (.625)

Bottom 10 uniforms:

Uniform

W-L (%)

Blue Jays’ Road Greys

3-15 (.167)

Astros’ Batting Practice Alternate

1-5 (.167)

Athletics’ Green Alternate

5-20 (.200)

Padres’ Road Greys

8-29 (.216)

Astros’ Orange Alternate

4-14 (.222)

Mets’ "New York" Blue Alternate

3-10 (.231)

Mets’ "Mets" White Alternate

3-10 (.231)

White Sox Road Greys

6-18 (.250)

Mets’ "Mets" Blue Alternate

3-8 (.273)

Orioles’ Orange Alternate

2-5 (.286)

Overall, major league clubs are 516-447 (.536) while wearing their home uniforms, 417-515 (.447) while wearing their road uniforms, and 405-440 (.479) while wearing their regular alternates (not including any special uniforms).

Much, much thanks to Chris and Sportslogos.net for all the data!