Blue Jays 'in hunt' for Cuban pitcher Miguel Gonzalez

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - Dennis Grombkowski

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com, in a post about Cuban RHP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, said this:

The Cubs, Dodgers, Rangers and Red Sox are among the teams that have expressed serious interest in signing the 26-year-old. The Phillies, Blue Jays and Braves are also in the hunt to acquire him.

That would add a bit of fun to a season that has been pretty depressing.

The post says that Gonzalez could sign as soon as next week and that he would need just a few starts in the minors before moving up to the majors.

The hard-throwing right-hander has a fastball in the mid-90s, a changeup, fork and a curveball.

Oh please can we have him, Alex? It's been months since we've added an expensive pitcher.

He won't come cheap. MLB Trade Rumors figures he could sign for as much as $60 million over 5 years, but then that's a lot less than Yu Darvish cost the Rangers. If it is a choice between Gonzalez and trading for Matt Garza, I vote Gonzalez.

Our payroll is already pretty high, but I'm sure Rogers could jam a crowbar into their wallet and pry it open a little wider.