Blue Jays 9 Dodgers 10: at least it was a different way to lose

Tom Szczerbowski

Dodgers 10 Blue Jays 9

That was just hard to believe.

The bullpen has been so good this year that we should forgive a bad game. But we really needed this one.

I wish Gibby would have gone to Juan Perez in the 8th instead of Darren Oliver, but that's hindsight.

We were up 8-3 after 6. Things looked good. Todd Redmond was pretty good, he went 5.2, gave up 7 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk with 6 k.

Brett Cecil came in and got out of the 6th inning for us, but then, in the 7th, he gave up 2 singles and 2 walks, giving up a run and loading the bases with one out. Gibby brought Dustin McGowan in. Dustin gave up a single, to allow 2 more runs, and hit a batter, to load the bases again. Dustin got a strikeout before a hard ground ball hit him, he lost it for a moment, picked it up and flipped to J.P. Arencibia at the plate, to just barely get the 3rd out. A really nice job on both ends.

Then came the 8th. Darren Oliver, working his second day in a row, gave up a single to Carl Crawford and a Yasiel Puig walk. Then homers from Adrian Gonzalez and Andre Ethier gave the Dodger a 2-run lead, their first lead of the night. And that was the game.

Oh, we got a base runner in the bottom of the 8th, but Jose Bautista struck out. And, in the 9th, Adam Lind hit a ground rule double, Maicer Izturis walks and J.P. Arencibia hit a hard 2-out single to make it a 1-run game with the tying run at 2nd and the winning run at first, but Brett Lawrie hit a fly ball to the track. He just missed it.

Offensively we had a pretty good day, for a change:

  • J.P.: 3 for 5 with a double.
  • Jose Reyes: 2 for 5, with a double and a homer.
  • Jose Bautista: 2 for 4, walk, homer.
  • Rajai Davis: 2 for 5, with a steal.
  • Lawrie: 2 for 4.
  • Mark DeRosa: 1 for 2, walk, homer.

The only Blue Jay starter not to hit was Melky Cabrera. He's had some bad swings the last couple of days. Maybe he has other things on his mind.

Jays of the Day are JP (.138 WPA), Bautista (.130), DeRosa (.121) and Reyes (.109).

Suckage: Oliver (-.689) and Lawrie (-.155), but Brett's was hardly fair, since he had a pretty good game. The fly out at the end cost him.

We had the usual Blue Jay moments: Maicer was thrown out stealing, I think Rajai missed a hit and run sign. After that Rajai singled, stole second and went to third on the catcher's throwing error. And DeRosa had a couple of interesting moments on defense at third base.

We still haven't won since...when we it, May? Actually July 13th. 6 straight losses. No wonder I'm in such a crappy mood. Once again, I'm going to go drink.

We had 1,069 comment from 41 members in the GameThread.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 109
2 Belisarius 95
3 Pikachu 88