Blue Jays 2 Tigers 6: Just Terrible Baseball

Jays are leaving no stone unturned in their search for pitching help. Alice Cooper tries out. - Brad White

Errors cost the Blue Jays.

Tigers 6 Blue Jays 2

Let's just make this quick.

That was just a terrible error by Emilio Bonifacio in the second inning. That said, just because you had an error made behind you, it doesn't mean you have to give up a bunch of runs, but that's what Josh Johnson did, giving up a Jhonny Peralta RBI single and a 3-run homer to Alex Avila. Johnson's own error, in the third, cost him another unearned run. Then he gave up a home run to Victor Martinez in the fifth, his only earned run of the game.

Josh wasn't good. 5 innings, 7 hits, 6 runs, only 1 earned, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts, 2 home runs. He also made 2 fielding errors.

Todd Redmond came and pitched 3 scoreless innings. Odds are he cost himself a chance to start Sunday, though you never know. Maybe he showed enough that the Jays will want him to start. He gave up a lot of hard hit balls, but they found gloves.

Dustin McGowan looked really good in his inning. 3 strikeouts. Maybe we could start giving him some higher leverage moments.

On offense, we managed 9 hits, 2 each for Jose Bautista, Colby Rasmus and Bonifacio (plus our only walk) One for Jose Reyes, Maicer Izturis and Mark DeRosa. But that added up to only 2 runs. Maybe the game would have gone better if J.P. Arencibia's drive to the wall went a couple of feet further or if Tigers LFer Andy Dirks hadn't made such a good catch.

There were a couple of moments of interest. Colby knocked Omar Infante out of the game, with a hard slide, breaking up a double play. I don't like that he jumped over the bag to hit Infante. Hard slides are one thing, but you should touch the bag, not jump over it. If I was Colby, I wouldn't dig in too deep in my at bats tomorrow.

Then, later in the game, Redmond lost control of a fastball and hit Torii Hunter high in the shoulder. Hunter wasn't impressed, though I don't think there was anything intentional about the pitch.

Bautista made a couple of really nice catches in the outfield and made as nice a slide into the plate that you are ever going to see, to score our second run. I thought it was a terrible send by Luis Rivera. Down by 5 isn't time to gamble, but Jose made it work.

No Jays of the Day today. Bonifacio had the high score at .047, but that didn't include the error.

Johnson (-.302, not including his 2 errors) gets the Suckage award and I'll give one to Adam Lind (-.091, 0 for 4, 3 k).

The GameThread petered out early, along with our chances to him. Thorkun led the way, a gritty performance in the losing cause.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Thorkun 76
2 rob.magnificent 61
3 MjwW 38