Blue Jays Apparently Interested in Howie Kendrick- Trade Deadline Open Thread

USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays interested in Angels second baseman

According to this article by Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet, the Blue Jays have an interest in acquiring Howie Kendrick.

This would fill an obvious hole at second base, with the Blue Jays' second basemen combining for -1.9 WAR. Since June 10 however, Maicer Izturis has produced a .284/.344/.376 slash line. Kendrick has hit .301/.344/.446 this year and acumulated 2.4 WAR, just sightly better than what the Blue Jays have had thus far.

Kendrick has been one of the better second basemen in baseball, 6th overall among all qualified second basemen in the majors in terms of WAR.

The Angles seem to be selling pieces off at this point, what with their record sitting at 48-57, 14 games back of the division-leading Athletics, and with three teams between them and first.

Kendrick won't come cheap however, with a total of $18.85M owed to him in the next two years, before he hits free-agency after the 2015 season.

The Blue Jays would most likely have to trade away a player who is owed substantial money, and with the Angels' seemingly looking for starting pitching, Mark Buehrle would be a logical fit. Buehrle is in year two of a 4 year $58M deal. He too hits free agency after the 2015 season.

Update from Minor Leaguer in the comments

What do you think? Should the Jays go after Kendrick?