Dustin McGowan placed on the disabled list, Sergio Santos to join Blue Jays

Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

After a few hours of speculation of what roster move the Blue Jays will make when Sergio Santos comes off the disabled list tomorrow, Shi Davidi tweeted that Dustin McGowan has been placed on the 15-day disabled list after "tweaking" his side on Monday.

This will be eighth time that Dustin McGowan has been placed on the disabled list in his career. His first DL stint came in May 2004 (to September 2004) with "right elbow soreness", then again in July 2008 with "right shoulder soreness" (it will disable him for the rest of the season), then he missed the entire 2009 season with a "torn right labrum", the entire 2010 season with "right shoulder strain", March to September 2011 for "recovery from right shoulder surgery", he was placed on the DL in March with "right plantar fasciitis", then transferred to the 60-day DL in May with "recurring soreness of right shoulder", then he started the 2013 season on the DL with a "sore right shoulder".

I hope that this is a short, 15-day trip to the disabled list for McGowan that is really designed to keep the Jays from having to deal with a roster crunch with the return of Sergio Santos. It is a good thing that the injury has nothing to do with his throwing arm.

2013 - Dustin McGowan 0-0 16 0 0 0 0 0 17.0 12 6 4 2 9 17 2.12 1.24

2013 - Sergio Santos 0-1 6 0 0 0 0 0 4.1 3 1 1 1 1 6 2.08 .92

The club will still have to remove someone from their 40-man roster to make room for Santos, who is returning from the 60-day disabled list. He was placed on the 15-day DL back in april with a "right triceps strain" and was transferred to the 60-day DL after having surgery to clean up bone chips from his right elbow. After being traded to the Jays in December 2011, Santos has only thrown 9.1 innings for Toronto, missing most of the 2012 season with a right shoulder problem.

UPDATE

To make room on the 40-man roster for Sergio Santos, Brandon Morrow has been moved to the 60-day disabled list, according to Brendan Kennedy's tweet. He was first placed on the disabled list on May 29.

The transfer to the 60-day DL is more or less just procedural, as Morrow has been sitting on there since May 29 (64 days ago) anyway. Normally, a player placed on the 60-day DL on or after August 1 will have to remain there for the balance of the season, but that does not apply to players who are transferred from the 15-day DL (MLR 2(g)(2)).