Jose Bautista, Brett Cecil, and Edwin Encarnacion to represent the Blue Jays in the All-Star Game

Tom Szczerbowski

Major League Baseball's All-Star announcement came a few hours after another disappointing loss for the Blue Jays, giving their fans something to be happy about. Three Blue Jays will be represented at Citi Field in the 2013 MLB All-Star Game: Jose Bautista, Brett Cecil, and Edwin Encarnacion.

Jose Bautista was successfully voted as a starting outfielder for the American League club, and will be appearing in his fourth consecutive All-Star Game, and his third straight as a starter.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2013 - Jose Bautista 80 307 59 81 16 0 20 52 47 61 6 0 .264 .360 .511

Blue Jays fans had a big "#VoteEdwing" online campaign to get Edwin Encarnacion onto the starting lineup, but unfortunately he felt short of that, with David Ortiz being elected to be the designated hitter. Encarnacion made it onto the team as a reserve anyway, and will be going to the All-Star game for the first time in his career.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2013 - Edwin Encarnacion 84 323 54 86 15 0 23 66 40 42 3 0 .266 .351 .526

Another first timer is reliever Brett Cecil, who had planned to spend the All-Star Break at home with his family in Maryland. While most people thought that both Bautista and Encarnacion would get in, few believed that Cecil would have gotten the call despite his great performance this season. Not many middle-relievers on a last-place team (and one from Canada too boot) get selected, but Cecil's phenomenal performance, and John Gibbons' personal influence, made it hard for Jim Leyland to not pick him. In 2013 he has held opposing batters to a .153/.220/.240 line. And on top of all that he is coming back from perhaps one of the worst years of his life, being cut at the end of spring training and being sent to work in AA for two months and AAA for another.

2013 - Brett Cecil 3-0 38 0 0 0 0 0 44.0 23 7 7 1 13 50 1.43 .82

That might not be all from the Blue Jays: Cecil's bullpen mate Steve Delabar has made it onto the ballot for the last spot on the American League roster. Like Cecil, Delabar has a great comeback story--back in 2010 he was a high school substitute teacher who, at age 27, worked his way onto the Mariners' roster. Then, in a great trade, Alex Anthopoulos acquired him from Seattle for Eric Thames. Be sure to vote for Delabar in the online Final Vote here to send four Blue Jays to the All-Star Game!

2013 - Steve Delabar 5-1 35 0 0 0 0 3 40.0 28 11 7 1 22 57 1.57 1.25

The Full Rosters

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Starters

C: Joe Mauer, Twins