FanPost

8/9 - MiLB Recap

The Blue Jays affiliate teams went a combined record of 3-5 tonight as they were nine game scheduled but just eight were played as the Dunedin Blue Jays' game against the Lakeland Tigers was postponed due to rain.

Buffalo Bisons (61-58)

The Buffalo Bisons lost this game to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders by a final score of 7-3. This loss hampers the Bisons wildcard chase, but doesn't leave them too far behind as they still sit just one game back of the International League Wild Card race behind the Norfolk Tides.

  • Anthony Gose - 1-4/3B/2SO
  • Kevin Pillar - 0-3/BB/SB, Kevin has cooled off drastically as of late, he's hitting .162/.225/.216 in his last ten, that is a very ugly line..
  • Luis Jimenez - 1-4
  • Moises Sierra - 2-3/BB
  • Ryan Goins - 2-4, Goins is quietly putting together a nice string of games, hitting .281/.343/.438 in his last ten games.
  • Andy LaRoche - 1-4/2B
  • Munenori Kawasaki - 1-3
  • Drew Hutchison - 3.2IP/6H/6ER/0BB/1K/1HR, not a great start at all for Hutchison as noted by the line, RailRiders centerfielder Melky Mesa smacked a grand slam off of him in the second inning with two out. Here's what Hutch had to say about his performance.
  • Joel Carreno - 4.1IP/2H/0ER/0BB/2K, Joel did a terrific job moping up the mess after Hutchison left the game. Carreno's a guy who often struggled with control and walks, but he did a pheomenal job tonight, threw 32-37 pitches for strikes.
  • Tommy Hottovy - 0.1IP/3H/1ER/1BB/0K, Hottovy has been a marvelous surprise for the Bisons bullpen in his short stint as he has pitched to a 0.67 ERA in 13 innings while striking out more than one batter per inning. This after being called up from New Hampshire where he pitched to a 4.74 ERA in 24 innings.
  • Jeremy Jeffress - 0.2IP/0H/0ER/0BB/0K, this was a good performance for Jeffress considering that he didn't walk anyone..

New Hampshire Fisher Cats (56-60)

The F-Cats won big in this one as they trounced the Richmond Flying Squirrels by a score of 11-2. This helps the Fisher Cats in their playoff chase for the 2nd playoff spot in the Eastern League Eastern Division. They currently sit four games back of the 2nd place Trenton Thunder, though they are in big time need of a solid winning streak.

  • Kenny Wilson - 2-3/2B/BB/SB, having a solid season in New Hampshire but striking out way too much (25% of the time) and not taking enough free passes (walking 7% of the time).
  • Andy Burns - 2-5/2B, having a pretty decent month of August so far in which he's hitting .267/.290/.600.
  • A.J. Jimenez - 2-5/HR/2RBI, Jimenez has been ice cold in his last ten, hitting .175/.209/.350.
  • Kevin Ahrens - 2-4/HR/3RBI, not much looking good for former 1st round pick that was once compared to Chipper Jones..
  • John Tolisano - 3-4/2B/CS/PO
  • Deck McGuire - 8IP/4H/2ER/1BB/6K/1HR, pretty solid start for Deck, I'd take two runs in eight solid innings any day of the week, threw 71-106 pitches for strikes.

Lansing Lugnuts (51-66)

The Lansing Lugnuts defeated the West Michigan Whitecaps by a score of 7-5 in what sounded like a very exciting game as the Lugs walked off in the 12th inning on a two-run homer by designated hitter Kevin Patterson.

  • Dwight Smith Jr. - 1-5/BB/SB, Dwight has been super hot after the all star break as he's put up a line of .298/.399/.453.
  • Emilio Guerrero - 2-6/2RBI
  • Christian Lopes - 2-6
  • Kevin Patterson - 1-6/HR/2RBI
  • Carlos Ramirez - 2-4/BB/3SB
  • Santiago Nessy - 2-5
  • Daniel Norris - 4IP/2H/0ER/4BB/6K
  • Colton Turner - 2.2IP/3H/0ER/0BB/1K, the Blue Jays 21st round selection in the 2012 draft has been pretty solid in 2013, he has pitched 56 innings this year, striking out 37, walking 17 and getting a pretty good amount of ground balls (noted by his 1.18 GO/AO).
  • Chad Girodo - 2IP/2H/0ER/1BB/1K, a 9th round selection this year out of Mississippi State; Girodo was sent straight to the Lugnuts after being signed and has been a serviceable pitcher for them out of relief, holding hitters to a .261 average, and has been very tough on lefties.

Vancouver Canadians (29-24)

The Vancouver Canadians were defeated by the Boise Hawks by a score of 5-4. The Hawks walked off in the ninth inning thanks to a sacrifice fly by the Cubs 2013 first round pick Kris Byrant. The Canadians are currently sit 2nd place in the Northwest League North, they are two games behind the first place Everett Aquasox, if the Canadians can hold second place for the remainder of the year then they will get into the playoffs, the same goes for if the take over first though.

  • Chaz Frank - 2-5/2B, the Blue Jays 2013 20th round pick has had a great start to his professional career, he's hitting .278/.431/.380, the other thing I like about him is that he's walking (26) more than he's striking out (23).
  • Ian Parmley - 2-5/SB
  • Brenden Kalfus - 1-4/3B/BB
  • Andy Fermin - 2-3/2B/2RBI/2BB
  • Michael Reeves - 1-4/BB, Canadian Michael Reeves also has enjoyed a nice start to his professional career after being drafted this year in the 21st round, he's hitting .300/.418/.317 with the C's so far.
  • Tom Robson - 6IP/7H/0ER/2BB/2K, after his great start to the year with the Bluefield Blue Jays, Robson was promoted to the Canadians and has continued rolling, currently pitching to an ERA of 1.03 in 43 innings this year, and inducing a plethora of ground balls (dat 3.74 GO/AO average).
  • Garrett Pickens - 1.1IP/4H/3ER/2BB/0K

DSL Blue Jays (33-23)

The DSL Blue Jays defeated the DSL Braves by a final score of 7-5. The Braves tried to rally in the ninth but would fall as few runs short, though they did cut the deficit to two, but it was just too late.

  • Deiferson Barreto - 1-4/BB
  • Richard Urena - 3-5/2 2B/2SB, Urena is really quickly becoming one of my favourite sleeper prospects in the lower levels of the minors, apparently he has a very good glove and could stay at short but the bat is impressing also, having a real nice start to August as he's put up a line of .321/.424/.464.
  • Juan Kelly - 1-3/BB/SB
  • Ronniel Demorizi - 1-4/SB
  • Dean Bell - 2-4/2 2B
  • Juan Fuente - 2-4/SB/CS/PO
  • Alberto Rosario - 5IP/3H/1ER/2BB/5K
  • Pedro Diaz - 1.1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/2K

GCL Blue Jays (18-24)

The GCL Blue Jays played two games yesterday as the first one was a scheduled game, and the second was make up for a postponed game back in July. The Blue Jays lost the first game by a score of 6-4, though the Jays made it close as they scored all their runs in the final inning, but they just could not come all the way to tie and/or win.

  • Rowdy Tellez - 1-3/2B, putting up a decent line so far in August as he's hitting .265/.316/.324, hopefully a sign of good things to come with the bat.
  • Josh Almonte - 1-3/SB
  • Nathan DeSouza - 1-3
  • Gabriel Cenas - 1-1, Cenas has been superb so far this year, hitting .295/.373/.523, he's DEFINITELY worthy of a promotion.
  • Corey Gorman - 5IP/7H/2ER/1BB/3K

GCL Blue Jays (18-25)

The GCL Blue Jays lost again in the second game of their double header, this time by a score of 4-3, though they did make it close though as they scored two runs in the ninth.

  • Franklin Barreto - 2-4/2B/2RBI/2SO/SB
  • Thomas Collins III - 1-4/2B
  • Rowdy Tellez - 2-3/2B/RBI
  • Gabriel Cenas - 0-3
  • Chad Jenkins - 2IP/0H/0ER/0BB/0K
  • Chad Beck - 1IP/1H/0ER/0BB/1K
  • Matt Smoral - 2IP/1H/2ER/0BB/2K/1HR, these high school pitchers man...

Bluefield Blue Jays (33-15)

The Bluefield Blue Jays took a 2-1 loss yesterday as the fell to the Johnson City Cardinals in 12 innings as the Cardinals walked off on a.....passed ball..?

  • D.J. Davis - 1-5/2SO
  • Matt Dean - 1-4/CS
  • Jonathan Davis - 1-1
  • Jorge Saez - 2-4/2B
  • Derrick Loveless - 1-4
  • Dawel Lugo - 0-5
  • Mitch Nay - 0-4/BB
  • Brady Dragmire - 6IP/2H/0ER/1BB/1K
  • Francisco Gracequie - 1IP/2H/0ER/1BB/1K
  • Yeyfry Del Rosario - 1.2IP/1H/0ER/2BB/1K

*BOLD INDICATES PROSPECTS/GUYS THAT YOU SHOULD MAYBE CARE ABOUT*