The Blue Jays affiliate teams went a combined record of 4-3 in action yesterday. It was a pretty exciting day for prospect watching as Gustavo Pierre hit for the cycle with Dunedin and Franklin Barreto hit two round trippers in GCL league action, so without further ado, lets take a look at the highlights and low-lights of yesterday's proceedings in the minor leagues.
Buffalo Bisons (62-58)
With a 6-2 win over the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, the Buffalo Bisons inched closer to the lead for the wild card spot in the International League, they currently sit one game behind the Norfolk Tides for the wild card, and two and a half games back of the lead in the International League Northern division title behind the Rochester Red Wings.
- Anthony Gose - 2-4/2B/SB, Anthony is hitting .281/.330/.461 after the AAA all-star break.
- Kevin Pillar - 3-5/2B/2RBI, nice to see Kevin start to see some success in this one, hopefully he is starting to come out of his latest dry spell at the plate.
- Moises Sierra - 1-4/HR/2RBI, Moises has really started off the month of August on the right foot as he is hitting .300/.364/.750 within the month.
- Ryan Goins - 0-3/BB
- Jim Negrych - 1-4/2B
- Mike McCoy - 0-3/2BB/2SB
- Justin Germano - 8IP/5H/1ER/0BB/8K
- Jeremy Jeffress - 1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/2K
New Hampshire Fisher Cats (56-61)
The New Hampshire Fisher Cats lost by a final score of 7-2 in this one as they were defeated by the Richmond Flying Squirrels. This loss brings the Fisher Cats back in the standings in the Eastern League Eastern division, they currently sit five games back of the second place Trenton Thunder, if they can somehow win a whole bunch of games and leap into second place then they'll sneak into the playoffs with the second playoff spot in the Easter division.
- Andy Burns - 1-4/2B/2BB, Burns may be making the right adjustments at the plate down in New Hampshire as he's hitting .279/.340/.628 in his last ten.
- Kevin Nolan - 1-5/BB
- Gabe Jacobo - 2-4/2B
- Kevin Ahrens - 1-1
- John Tolisano - 1-5
- Alan Farina - 2IP/0H/0ER/1BB/3K
Dunedin Blue Jays (54-57)
The Dunedin Blue Jays won 7-6 over the Brevard County Manatees in DSL league action yesterday. The Dunedin Blue Jays have an automatic bye into the playoffs as they were the winners of the first half in Florida State League Northern division.
- Jon Berti - 2-4/BB
- Shane Opitz - 1-5
- Michael Crouse - 1-3/2BB, Crouse is on fire in his past ten, has put a line of .286/.444/.371 in that span..
- K.C. Hobson - 1-4/2B/BB
- Marcus Knecht - 1-4/2B
- Gustavo Pierre - 4-4/2B/3B/HR/4RBI
- Derrick Chung - 1-4
- Nick Baligod - 2-3/BB
- Dayton Marze - 2IP/3H/2ER/0BB/1K/1HR
- Wil Browning - 1IP/1H/0ER/0BB/2K
- Ajay Meyer - 1IP/1H/0ER/0BB/0K
- Blake McFarland - 1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/3K
Lansing Lugnuts (51-67)
The Lansing Lugnuts lost in Midwest League action yesterday as they fell to the Great Lakes Loons by a final score of 2-1 on a walk off bunt. The Lugnuts currently sit in seventh Midwest League Eastern division as they are twenty-three games back of the lead, and sixteen and a half games back of second place, the Lugs' outlook ain't very hopeful.
- Dwight Smith Jr. - 0-3/BB/3SO
- Dalton Pompey - 1-4/SB, Pompey stole his 34th base in this one, he has stolen at an 82.9% clip this year, 34/41 in stolen bases attempts.
- Jordan Leyland - 1-4/2B, Leyland is currently on fire, hitting .313/.425/.531 in his last ten.
- Emilio Guerrero - 1-3/2B, Guerrero is also hitting well as of late, .308/.372/.462 in his last ten.
- Daniel Klein - 1-4
- Kellen Sweeney - 1-3
- Matt Boyd - 5IP/1H/0ER/1BB/4K, unlike other recently drafted Blue Jays players, Boyd has had no problems with his command so far to start his professional career, he has walked just one batter in fourteen innings since joining Lansing.
Vancouver Canadians (29-25)
The C's took a 9-2 loss last night to the Boise Hawks in Northwest League action, with the loss the Canadians have now lost three consecutive games and have lost six of their last ten games. Though they still hold the second place spot in the Northwest League Northern division by three games, and are just two games back of first place.
- Chaz Frank - 1-4/SB, hitting .341/.413/.537 in his last ten.
- Ian Parmley - 2-4
- Andy Fermin - 1-3/BB, Fermin is putting up some very good numbers in Vancouver, the only problem is that he's 24 years old, so he is far too old for the level..
- L.B. Dantzler - 1-3, Dantzler just continues to hit, has a line of .382/.488/.706 in his last ten and has walked more than he has struck out in that span.
- Chuck Ghysels - 1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/2K
GCL Blue Jays (19-25)
The GCL Blue Jays won 10-4 in GCL league action yesterday over the GCL Phillies. The GCL Blue Jays currently sit in the bottom of the Gulf Coast League Northwestern division, though it is a close division, as they are just three games out of first place.
- Franklin Barreto - 2-5/2HR/3RBI/3SO, continues to put on a hitting clinic in the GCL and he's still just a 17 years of age.
- Rowdy Tellez - 1-4/3B/2SO
- Gabriel Cenas - 1-3/2B, Cenas is really in need of a promotion, but likely won't see one until Dean and/or Nay are promoted up as Bluefield currently has a log jam with both of those two being third basemen.
- Dan Jansen - 1-4
- Sean Hurley - 1-3/BB
- Josh Almonte - 2-4
- Koby Kraemer - 1-4/2B
- Connor Greene - 3IP/8H/4ER/1BB/0K/1HR
- Jacob Brentz - 0.2IP/1H/0ER/2BB/1K
- Daniel Lietz - 3.1IP/4H/0ER/0BB/2K
DSL Blue Jays (35-23)
The Blue Jays of the Dominican Summer League defeated the DSL Braves in action yesterday by a score of 9-8 in extra innings. The game was tied at 7-7 going into the tenth inning when the Blue Jays scored two in the top of the inning to make it 9-7, the Braves came back with one run in the bottom half but their rally fell just short. The DSL Blue Jays currently sit five games back of first place in their division behind the DSL Tigers.
- Rodrigo Orozco - 1-3/2BB
- Deiferson Barreto - 0-4/2BB/CS
- Richard Urena - 1-3
- Juan Kelly - 2-5
- Ronniel Demorizi - 1-3/2BB/SB
- Eddy Alcantara - 1-5
- Dean Bell - 1-4
- Juan Fuente - 2-5/2B
- Osman Gutierrez - 1IP/2H/0ER/1BB/1K
- Manuel Cordova - 1IP/1H/0ER/2BB/0K
- Wilfri Aleton - 2IP/1H/1ER/1BB/1K