Today in Blue Jay History (or yesterday actually): Rajai Davis makes the catch of a lifetime

Tom Szczerbowski

One year ago yesterday, this happened:

It was a pretty amazing game for Rajai Davis. The Yankees would go on to score 3 runs that inning, off of Brad Lincoln, to turn a 10-4 game into a 10-7 game, but without that catch, who knows what might have happened. Rajai was the hero with the bat too, getting 2 hits, both doubles and drove in 5 runs, leading us to a 10 to 7 win over the Yankees. Edwin Encarnacion hit a 2-run homer as well.

It really amazes me that this lineup:

Rajai Davis, LF

Mike McCoy, 2B

Edwin Encarnacion, DH

David Cooper, 1B

Moises Sierra, RF

Jeff Mathis, C

Yan Gomes, 3B

Anthony Gose, CF

Adeiny Hechavarria, SS

could score 10 runs in a game. I'd be surprised if they got 10 runs in a week. But they managed 7 runs, in 4 innings, off Phil Hughes and 3 more runs off reliever Ryota Igarashi. If Igarashi's name looks familiar, he pitched in 2 games for the Blue Jays earlier in the season, totaling 1 inning, allowing 4 runs. He was picked up by the Yankees, from us, off waivers. This game was the 2nd and last time he pitched for the Yankees, bringing his season ERA to 18.00.

SB Nation Featured Video