Blue Jays 2 Red Sox 1: Blue Jays win a pitchers duel

Nice catch by Jose Reyes on a lousy Munenori throw. - John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Spo

Red Sox 1 Blue Jays 2

Well, that was fun.

Mark Buehrle either had an amazing start or the luckiest start ever. He seemed to be in trouble every inning but only gave up 1 run. He only had one 3 up 3 down inning in his 7 innings of work but the only run that scored against him was on a ground ball hit to Munenori Kawasaki that should have been a double play to end the inning, but Kawasaki threw high to second. We got one out but not the double play and Daniel Nava scored from third.

Buehrle gave up 10 hits and 2 walks, with 4 strikeouts. How he came out of that with just 1 run scored again is a mystery. If you buy the narrative, he battled. If you don't, he got lucky. Either way, he got he win.

Mark was helped out by a great throw to the plate by Kevin Pillar, to get Dustin Pedroia trying to score from 2nd on a single in the first inning. When was the last time we saw a good throw to the plate from an outfielder?

Darren Oliver continued the magic act, giving up a double and a walk before getting out of the 8th. Casey Janssen pitched a clean 9th, with a couple of fairly hard hit balls, but it was nice to see him get his 21st save after having such a hard time of it lately.

On offense we didn't do all that much. We got our 2 runs in the 7th inning, off 3 consecutive singles by Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie, Brett's driving home the tying run. Then a sac fly from pinch hitter Mark DeRosa.

We only had 6 hits in all, 5 singles and an Adam Lind double. no walks and 5 strikeouts. The bats have been awful of late.

Jays of the Day are Buehrle (.258 WPA), Janssen (.168), Oliver (.124) and Lawrie (.185).

No one gets suckage. Keven Pillar had the low mark at -.083 but that doesn't count his outfield assist. Pillar really didn't look good at the plate today, but then point me out a Jay that hasn't had a few games where he has look bad that the plate.

Nice game thread tonight for the series win. 736 comments from 37 commenters. Pikachu led the way. Great job, you really battled through it, a gritty performance.

# Commenter # Comments
2 expos&nordiques4ever 93
3 Tom Dakers 71
4 Kraemer_17 66