Jose Bautista's temper

Gibby suggesting to Jose that he could be happy that the team was winning, not mad about a ruling. - John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Spo

Last night there was a bit of a disturbance in the Blue Jays' dugout. A twitter report suggested that Adam Lind went off the beam after being pulled for a pinch hitter. Those of us that went through the Yu Darvish stuff know not to listen to random voices on Twitter, but it did cause a bit of conversation. As with all of these consider the source, if Shi Davidi tweets it, listen, if it isn't him, look for confirmation. I'll admit I didn't believe it from the start, it seemed out of character for Adam.

Several folks heard a loud bang from the Jays dugout. As it turned out it was Jose Bautista, who wasn't thrilled with the official scorer's initial ruling of an error on the ball he hit to start the 7th inning rally. Jose took a swing at the wall on the way to the clubhouse, not knowing the that ruling had already been changed.

Now, losing your temper over an official scorer's ruling is totally the wrong thing to do. Jose should have been happy that we were back to tied. But Jose is Jose, he plays the game with a chip on his shoulder and seems to do best when he thinks every one is out to get him.

I am the last guy to get on someone about his temper. People in glass houses shouldn't slam a bat into the walls. When ever I think I have a handle on mine, JP throws a ball into the outfield and I'm back to breaking things. I sometimes feel bad for players, their outbursts of temper play out on national TV, the rest of us do it on a far smaller stage.

In a perfect world, that wouldn't be the sort of thing that would set Jose off, but he's had a rough time of it, the team is doing terrible and sometimes venting, even if it is about the wrong thing, helps. I'd much rather worry about what he does between the lines, as long as he isn't hurting anyone.

Jose apologized for being a distraction (I really doubt it was that much of a distraction) and the team won and the bullpen phone still works, so all is well. If Jose hits 3 home runs against the Rays, all will be forgotten.