It's a BOY! Sunday Aug 18, 2013 Links

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The Voodoo Curse that haunts the Jays in Tampa took the night off as it was the Jays turn to play the game the "right way"TM by beating the Rays 6-2. The curse maybe back today, but here's hoping that it goes on the 15 year DL.

Congratulations to the Kawasakis.

GAME RECAPS

Blue Jays: Happ survives another scare in first Trop stop since injury | Toronto Star
The Star's recap: Jays lefty J.A. Happ returns to scene of frightening injury to earn his first victory since April in 6-2 victory over Rays; Adam Lind homers twice.

Happ shuts down Rays in 2nd straight solid outing - Sportsnet.ca
Sportsnet's recap: J.A. Happ pitched 5.1 innings of two-run ball in a 6-2 win over the Tamp Bay Rays on Saturday, offering a timely reminder of what he can bring to the Toronto Blue Jays rotation.

Hernandez struggles in Rays loss to Blue Jays | Tampa Bay Times
Sadder recap: ST. PETERSBURG — The Rays can push back Roberto Hernandez's starts when possible and skip him when the schedule allows. But until Matt Moore's left elbow feels better, they seem likely to keep sending Hernandez to the mound.

JAYS LINKS

The Blue Jay Hunter: Flashback Friday: Peter Gross Stalks Dave Stieb
It's not the Jays Thriller video, but a look at the good old days of the Jays.

Even Mark DeRosa Believed | NotGraphs Baseball
To be fair, we all believed. Then the pitching happened. Then the defense. Then the unclutch hitting.

MLB AND LLWS LINKS

A-Rod's New Lawyer Claims The Yankees Wanted His Hip Surgery Botched
Alex Rodriguez has hired a new lawyer named Joseph Tacopina, and he's accusing the Yankees of asking the doctor performing Rodriguez's surgery to make sure Rodriguez remained hurt and never played for them again. Tacopina is a lawyer who's made his reputation with outlandish statements, so this accusation doesn't really have any weight without evidence.

The Worst of the Best: The Week’s Wildest Swings | FanGraphs Baseball
Ugly as always.

The Worst of the Best: The Week’s Wildest Pitches | FanGraphs Baseball
Jose Bautista "favorite" Luke Hochevar is this week's "Best."

Breaking Down the Swing: Best Hitters of 2012 Part II | FanGraphs Baseball
The science of hitting from FG.

We reply to replay
From Hardball Times. Note: Odd to see the NHL touted over the NFL, but even Bettman is right once in a while.

Little League World Series: Canada earns wild win over Czechs | Toronto Star
Note: Czechmate! Two outs at plate overturned on review for Canadian runs in LLWS elimination game.

TODAY IN TERMINATOR HISTORY

Baseball History August 18th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1995 In spite of a Braves' rally in the ninth, Tom Henke records his 300th career save when the Cardinals edge Atlanta, 4-3. The Kansas City native becomes the seventh pitcher in major league history to reach this milestone.

2006 At Fenway Park, the Yankees beat the Red Sox in the night cap to complete a day-night doubleheader sweep. The 14-11 slugfest, in which the Al East Division rivals bang out a total 34 hits, takes 4 hours and 45 minutes to play making it the longest nine-inning game in big league history. A team scores in nine of the 18 half-innings.

In This Article

Teams