Blue Jays 2 Angels 8: Josh Johnson was terrible, again

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 2 Angels 8

I drove a long way to watch that crappy game, sat in LA Freeway traffic (and sat and sat) and then the game was over by the 3rd inning.

Anyway, Josh Johnson was absolutely awful again. I didn't see any soft contact off him, and very few swings and misses. He was terrible. If he was a horse we'd shoot him. As it is I'd give his starts to Juan Perez. Juan at least pitched 2.2 scoreless innings. Josh, well he got 7 outs, which means 7 hard hit balls that found a glove or that a Jay fielder made a nice play on. He gave up 10 hits, 7 runs, 6 earned, 2 walks, with 1 strikeout. I don't remember the strikeouts. Someone on the Angels must have owed him money and settled up by striking out.

On the good news side, we had our first look at Sergio Santos. He pitched 2 innings (surprised me that they would have him go two his first time back. He gave up a run, off a triple (Colby ran a long way to come up just short of catching) and a sac fly. He did look quite good, throwing strikes. Seemed to top out at 93, if the stadium radar can be trusted.

Other notes:

  • J.P. Arencibia has to start throwing like a man, i.e. standing up to make the throw to second. Twice he tried to throw from his knees, twice the throw was awful, once he was saved by Maicer Izturis, the other time his throw went into center, costing us a base and a run. Give the throwing from your knees thing up, JP.
  • Melky Cabrera looked awful in left and was pulled in the third inning (and has since gone on the DL. Not only was he slow, but one time, when he did finally get to a ball, he dropped it at at the top of his throwing motion. At least he gave the Angels fans something to laugh about.
  • What is it with crappy throws from the outfield. Jose Bautista over threw both third and home this game. Colby Rasmus threw well wide of the plate (yet again) and threw to third, well late to get the base runner and allowing the batter to go to second. Throw to the right base!
  • On offense we got out runs on a Adam Lind walk, a Colby double and a sac fly from Izturis.
  • The only batters to look at all like they were interested in the game were Colby (2 for 4 with a double), Brett Lawrie (2 for 3), Lind (1 for 3 and a walk) and Edwin Encarnacion (1 for 4). The rest looked like they couldn't get the game over quick enough.

Jays of the Day, no one. Honorary mention to Perez and Rasmus.

Suckage: Josh (-383) and I'm giving one to JP (0 for 3 and two bad throw) and Bautista (0 for 4 and 2 bad throws).

Once again, we have a game where the errors and dumb plays seem to outnumber the hits and good plays. I know they say you can't fire 25 players, but soon they have to let the players know that this sort of play is unacceptable. Gibby....you really gotta do something.