Chad Jenkins recalled, Brad Lincoln optioned, and Maicer Izturis transferred to 60-day DL in the Blue Jays' latest roster moves

Abelimages

After pitching 44 pitches in 1.1 innings of five-hit, three-walk, and three-run ball in the past two games, Brad Lincoln has been sent back to the Buffalo Bisons, and Chad Jenkins was recalled from the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, according to Sportsnet's Mike Wilner. Jenkins will bolster the Blue Jays' bullpen.

Stephen Chadwick Jenkins, 25, was optioned to New Hampshire to start 2013 where he played just one game after coming back from an injury before making three spot starts with the Blue Jays back in May, going five innings each. Then he was optioned to Buffalo in early June, but after pitching for the Bisons for about a month, Jenkins re-injured his right shoulder. Since that month-long set back he has made two rehab stints with the GCL Blue Jays and has pitched three games with the Fisher Cats. He has only gotten into 14 games this year. He is probably just a fill-in with a strict pitch count at this point in time.

Brad Lincoln has looked just horrible in his last three outings, but he did look quite solid in his time in Buffalo. It's probably best that he is not with the club's back-to-school lunchbox giveaway day on August 31.

Chien-Ming Wang will take the hill tonight in a spot start for the Blue Jays after Aaron Loup was placed on the paternity list. Since Wang was not on the 40-man roster, another move before the game must be made in order to make room. It is expected that Melky Cabrera would be moved to the 60-day disabled list.

There are only eight Blue Jays out of the usual fifteen currently serving an optional assignment: Kyle Drabek, Mauro Gomez, Drew Hutchison, A.J. Jimenez, Brad Lincoln, Sean Nolin, Mickey Storey, and Thad Weber.

UPDATE

Instead of Melky Cabrera going on to the 60-day DL, Maicer Izturis has been placed there instead to make room for Wang, according to an official tweet. His ankle sprain from the series against the Yankees must be more serious than first thought.

According to a Bisons release, the Blue Jays have signed former Atlantic League (independent) MVP outfielder Blake Gailen to a minor league contract, assigning him to Buffalo to help them populate their outfield with warm bodies. Gailen, now 28, played 29 games in affiliated ball when he was an Arkansas Traveler in August and September 2011. He hit .288/.385/.454 with 11 homers and 20 stolen bases in 117 games this season after batting .338/.415/.949 with 22 homers in 2012, his MVP year. Baseball America named him the Independent League Player of the Year.

Earlier this week, the Blue Jays signed Ryan Langerhans to a minor league deal from the Sugarland Skeeters and also assigned him to the Bisons.

Latest News

In This Article

Events
Teams