Chien-Ming Wang designated for assignment, Blue Jays activate Aaron Loup from paternity list

Heartfelt, but grammatically imperfect, sign cheering on C.M. Wang - Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

In not-surprising news, the Blue Jays have designated Chien-Ming Wang for assignment and have reactivated pitcher Aaron Loup, who was away on the weekend tending parental duties. Wang was placed back on the roster when Loup was placed on the paternity list, so this move essentially resets the previous one. Wang is now off the 40-man roster and has likely already been placed on waivers--whether it is outright or release waivers--but it is unlikely anyone would make a claim on him.

Wang is just 33 but his career was derailed with a leg injury running the bases in Houston's Minute Maid Park back in 2008. He attempted to revive his career with stints a stint in Washington the last couple of years and re-signed with the Yankees on a minor league deal this past offseason before being released and finding his way to the Blue Jays' system in June. Wang looked good in his first three starts, going a combined 20.2 innings giving up just six runs on 22 hits, striking out 10 and walking five. But then midnight struck and he turned back to a pumpkin. And when I say "midnight" I specifically am referring to the second innings of his starts. Batters were hitting .571/.605/1.000 against him in second innings this season, with him giving up 16 earned runs in the 38 plate appearances against him.  His fall over the cliff all began when Rogers decided to do that Taiwanese broadcast of Wang's start...

His numbers down in Buffalo have been decent, so I'm sure the Blue Jays won't mind sending him there to push for the playoffs, but Wang can choose to request an unconditional release. He will probably not be missed by too many Blue Jays fans.