Blue Jays minor leaguer Sean Ochinko suspended 50 games for amphetamine use

Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

According to a press release from the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, Buffalo Bisons catcher Sean Ochinko was suspended for 50 games without pay after testing positive for an amphetamine, to begin immediately. Ochinko joins two others in suspension for violations against the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program: outfielder Brandon Bayardi of the Orem Owels (Angels) for methylhexaneamine and pitcher Daniel Huchingson of the Binghamton Mets for a drug of abuse.

Amphetamines are a class of drugs that include amphetamine - dextroamphetamine ("Adderall"), methamphetamine ("meth"), 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine ("ecstasy").

Ochinko, 25, started the season at New Hampshire before he was promoted to AAA Buffalo following Josh Thole's callup to the majors. He shared the catching role with Mike Nickeas, but his playing time has been reduced lately due to the promotion of A.J. Jimenez from New Hampshire. Ochinko was an 11th round pick in the 2009 draft.

Earlier this year, Blue Jays farmhand Alan Farina served a 50-game suspension for a drug of abuse violation. Last week, it was announced that Miguel Tejada was suspended for 105 games for amphetamine use.

SB Nation Featured Video