There really wasn't 40 true prospects in the Jays system, so some of these guys really were long shots before the season started, but some have played their way to a higher position on next year's list.
31. Richard Urena started his pro career in the DSL this year. In 64 games, he hit .296/.381/.403 with 19 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run and 9 stolen bases. That was good enough to get him moved up the GCL, where he's hit .292/.320/.333 in 6 games. He's playing shortstop and has made a ton of errors, 21 in 66 games, but he's just 17, he's got years to cut the error count. He's thought to be a good glove/hope he hits guy.
32. Taylor Cole has made 26 starts at Lansing, putting up a 4.02 ERA. In 132 innings, he's allowed 141 hits, 5 home runs, 59 walks and 101 strikeouts. His last 10 games have been better, he has a 3.27 ERA over 52 innings in those 10 starts. He's 23, a little old for his first season at Lansing, but he missed a couple of years of pitching to do a Mormon mission.
33. Tom Robson our 4th round pick from 2011 started the year in Bluefield, put up a 1.38 ERA in 6 games, 5 starts. In 26 innings he allowed 24 hits, 5 walks and 18 strikeouts. That gone him moved closer to home, he's made 6 starts in Vancouver, with a 1.11 ERA. 32.1 innings, 24 hits allowed, 10 walks and 26 strikeouts. He gets bunches of ground balls, 3.37 per fly ball this year. He just turned 20 at the end of July. ERA's in the low 1's catch your eye.
34. Matt Dean has had a nice season at Bluefield. He's hitting .332/.383/.495 with 5 home runs, 14 walks and 55 strikeouts. August has been very good for Matt, he's hitting .386/.411/.566 in 24 games this month. He's played mostly first base, I was hoping he could stick at third. He's 20, and was our 13th round pick in 2011.
35. Deck McGuire is still having trouble with Double-A ball. He's made 25 starts, 1 relief appearance, for the Fisher Cats, a 4.96 ERA in 150.2 innings. 146 hits, 12 home runs, 55 walks and 136 strikeouts. He's a fly ball pitcher, .68 ground balls per fly ball. August has been better, 4 starts, 1 relief, 33 innings, 19 hits, 8 walks and 28 strikeouts. Maybe something has clicked? Yeah, I doubt it too, but I'd like to hope.
36. Jake Anderson has missed the whole season with an injury.
37. Jesus Tinoco hasn't been great in the GCL. In 12 games, 9 starts, he has a 5.09 ERA. In 46 innings, he's allowed 49 hits, 21 walks and 45 strikeouts. He's getting ground balls, 2.18 per fly, but he's walking too many. An international free agent signing in 2011, he's still just 18. He's a hard thrower and young enough that the control might come.
38. Griffin Murphy hasn't done well as a reliever in Lansing. 34 games, 4.16 ERA, 67 innings, 74 hits, 6 home runs, 27 walks and 55 strikeouts. Likely has played himself off our list.
39. Dawel Lugo started the year at Bluefield, hitting .297/.317/.469 with 6 home runs, 5 walks and 28 strikeouts in 51 game there. He was moved up to Vancouver and has hit .265/.265/.327 there, with no walks and 12 strikeouts. It would be ok if he would take more walks, but he's just 18, hopefully some discipline will come. We signed him as an international free agent in 2011.
40. Chris Hawkins isn't hitting much for the Lansing Lugnuts, just .227/.285/.318 with 12 doubles, 6 triples and 3 home runs, 29 walks and 62 strikeouts. Chris was a 3rd round pick in 2010. He turned 22 last year. He's another that's likely played himself off our list.