8/28 - Blue Jays MiLB Recap: Dalton Pompey is on fire!

Ah, Joel....when will you get a second chance.. - Mike McGinnis

Extra inning and heartbreaking losses a plenty for Blue Jays affiliates last night, the GCL Jays, Bluefield and Vancouver all lost in extras and Buffalo was officially eliminated from playoff contention.

The Toronto Blue Jays minor league affiliate teams put up a combined record of 2-6 last night, good for a winning percentage of just 33%, but that doesn't mean that there weren't any bright spots, so lets take a gander and last nights studs and duds down on the farn!

Buffalo Bisons (70-69)

Rochester Red Wings 5, Buffalo Bisons 2

The Bisons fell to the Rochester Red Wings last night by a score of 5-2,  with the final result of this game, one teams playoff chase continued and they lived to see another day, and the other teams playoff hopes were shattered. Unfortunately for Buffalo Bisons fans, the Herd were mathematically eliminated with their 69th loss on the year last night.

  • Thad Weber - 6IP/8H/2ER/1BB/8K, threw 63-96 pitches for strikes, induced 3 groundouts and 3 flyouts, six of Weber's eight strikeouts were swinging strikeouts.
  • Joel Carreno - 1IP/2H/0ER/0BB/1K, threw 15-20 pitches for strikes, induced a groundout, he also unfortunately also made a throwing error on a pickoff attempt which is the reason for him having no earned runs, his one strikeout was a strikeout swinging.
  • Luis Perez - 1.2IP/3H/1ER/1BB/0K, Luis threw 16-29 pitches for strikes, induced two groundouts and one flyout.
  • Scott Gracey - 0.1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/0K, threw 2-3 pitches for strikes, sounds like it was a quick night for Scotty.
  • Blake Gailen - 1-4/2B, Gailen also had a fielding error which led to the first Red Wings run, but he also had an outfield assist when a Red Wings runner tried to stretch a single into a double.
  • Mauro Gomez - 1-3/2B/BB, Gomez has been real hot these past ten games, putting up a line of .290/.405/.484 in that span.
  • Brad Glenn - 2-4/HR, Glenn has made AAA look easy so far, he's currently hitting .310/.340/.473 with the Bisons.
  • Andy LaRoche - 1-4/2B
  • Luis Jimenez - 1-4/HR
  • Ryan Langerhans - 1-4
  • Mike Nickeas - 1-3/2B/BB

New Hampshire Fisher Cats (67-69)

New Hampshire Fisher Cats 8, Portland Sea Dogs 6

With the Fisher Cats' playoff hopes growing dimmer, they pulled out a much needed 8-6 victory over the Eastern League Eastern division's 4th place Sea Dogs. The Fisher Cats elimination number is currently at two games and they sit four games behind the second place Trenton Thunder.

  • Austin Bibens-Dirkx - 6IP/3H/0ER/1BB/5K
  • Dayton Marze - 0.1IP/1H/3ER/2BB/0K
  • Alan Farina - 1.2IP/3H/2ER/0BB/3K/1HR, all three of Farina's strikeouts were swinging.
  • Ryan Tepera - 1IP/2H/0ER/0BB/1K
  • Kenny Wilson - 2-5/2B/RBI
  • Andy Burns - 1-3/2RBI/BB, Burns has had a pretty strong month of August, he's hitting .287/.333/.472.
  • Adam Loewen - 2-4/2B/BB, also committed his sixth fielding error.
  • Ryan Schimpf - 3-4/2B/HR/RBI/BB
  • Jon Talley - 1-2/2B
  • Kevin Ahrens - 2-2/2B/RBI
  • Lance Zawadski - 1-3/BB
  • Amadeo Zazueta - 2-4/2B/2RBI

Dunedin Blue Jays (60-66)

Daytona Cubs 6, Dunedin Blue Jays 2

The Blue Jays played a double header yesterday against their first round playoff opponents, the Daytona Cubs.

  • Scott Copeland - 3IP/5H/6ER/4BB/2K/2HR
  • Wil Browning - 2IP/1H/0ER/0BB/5K, two of Browning's five strikeouts were in the swinging variety. Browning will be 25 this year and Dunedin is the highest level he has played so far in the minors.
  • Justin Jackson - 1IP/0H/0ER/1BB/0K
  • Jon Berti - 1-4/RBI
  • Jonathan Jones - 1-4
  • Matt Newman - 1-4
  • Mike Crouse - 0-3
  • K.C. Hobson - 0-2/BB
  • Gustavo Pierre - 0-3/2SO, also made his 13th error with Dunedin in 50 games played.
  • Marcus Knecht - 1-3/2SO, also collected an outfield assist when a runner tried to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single.
  • Derrick Chung - 1-2/2B/BB
  • Jorge Flores - 1-3/3B/RBI

Dunedin Blue Jays (60-67)

Daytona Cubs 3, Dunedin Blue Jays 0

The Blue Jays would end up getting swept by their first round playoff opponents in the double header yesterday, and they have now lost ten of their last eleven games, not exactly the kind of momentum you want going into the playoffs.

  • Taylor Cole - 6IP/6H/1ER/2BB/2K
  • Tyler Ybarra - 1IP/2H/1ER/1BB/2K
  • Jonathan Jones - 0-2/BB
  • Matt Newman - 1-2/BB
  • Oliver Dominguez - 1-2

Lansing Lugnuts (58-76)

Lansing Lugnuts 11, Lake County Captains 2

The Lugnuts have absolutely zero chance of making the playoffs and are already mathematically eliminated, but it is nice to see their year on a high note, after all, you can't win any better draft position by having your A-ball team suck. The Lugnuts have now scored 29 runs and collected 29 hits in their past two games.

  • Kendall Graveman - 5IP/6H/1ER/0BB/3K, one of Graveman's three strikesout were swinging.
  • Kramer Champlin - 3IP/2H/0ER/0BB/5K, all of Kramer's five strikeouts were in the swinging variety.
  • Tucker Donahue - 1IP/3H/1ER/0BB/1K/1HR
  • Dalton Pompey - 3-5/2 2B/HR/4RBI, Pompey has been tremendous in his past ten games, hitting .395/.521/.684.
  • Christian Lopes - 1-5/2RBI
  • Dwight Smith Jr. - 1-4/RBI/BB
  • Kevin Patterson - 0-4/BB
  • Jordan Leyland - 2-5
  • Santiago Nessy - 1-5
  • Chris Hawkins - 1-3/2BB
  • Jason Leblebijian - 1-4/RBI/BB
  • Kellen Sweeney - 2-5/2RBI, also made his 22nd error on the year.

Vancouver Canadians (36-34)

Tri-City Dust Devils 4, Vancouver Canadians 3

The Vancouver Canadians took a 4-3 loss last night in extra innings to the Tri-City Dust Devils and have no fallen to third place in their division, just behind the second place Spokane Indians by one game in the standings. This puts the Canadians out of a playoff position, they will need to win most (if not, all) of their remaining games and get some help from first place Everett.

  • Jeremy Gabryszwski - 5.2IP/8H/3ER/1BB/2K
  • Joe Spano - 0.2IP/2H/0ER/1BB/0K
  • Alvido Jimenez - 1.2IP/0H/0ER/0BB/3K, two of Jimenez's strikeouts were swinging. Jimenez will be 22 years old in a few months, he has put up great numbers this year as a reliever (1.29 ERA, 2.02 FIP) and pretty solid peripherals (10.29 K/9 and 3.30 BB/9). I think he might be my new favourite sleeper reliever in the system.
  • Matt Johnson - 1IP/1H/0ER/0BB/0K
  • Chuck Ghysels - 1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/2K
  • Matt Dermody - 3IP/0H/0ER/0BB/5K, four of his five strikeouts came when the batter made a swing.
  • Justin James - 1IP/1H/0ER/0BB/0K
  • Chaz Frank - 1-5
  • Melvin Garcia - 1-2
  • Michael Reeves - 0-6
  • Andy Fermin - 2-4/2B/BB
  • L.B. Dantzler - 0-6/2SO
  • Justin Atkinson - 1-6
  • Brenden Kalfus - 0-6/2SO
  • Dawel Lugo - 2-6/HR/2RBI, hit his home run in the ninth inning when the Canadians made a comeback from a 3-1 deficit.
  • Christian Vazquez - 1-6
  • Ian Parmley - 3-6/SB

Bluefield Blue Jays (40-25)

Kingsport Mets 7, Bluefield Blue Jays 6

The Bluefield Blue Jays also fell in extra innings in minor league action yesterday to the Kingsport Mets, although this one only got to the 10th inning, unlike the Canadians extra inning game yesterday which was 14 innings. The Blue Jays now hold a half a game lead over the Pulaski Mariners but have officially clinched a playoff spot.

  • Chase DeJong - 5IP/4H/0ER/1BB/5K
  • Clinton Hollon - 1IP/2H/2ER/0BB/0K, also made a throwing error on a pickoff attempt.
  • Tim Mayza - 0IP/2H/1ER/0BB/0K
  • Adaric Kelly - 2IP/1H/0ER/2BB/2K
  • Phil Kish - 1.1IP/4H/1ER/1BB/0K
  • Franklin Barreto - 1-5/2B/2RBI, he also made a throwing and fielding error, Franklin now has 8 errors in just 13 games in Bluefield.
  • D.J. Davis - 1-4/RBI/BB/CS
  • Tim Locastro - 1-2/BB/SB
  • Alexis Maldonado - 1-2, also had a fielding and throwing error.
  • Mitch Nay - 1-5/2SO
  • Matt Dean - 2-4/3B/RBI/SB
  • Derrick Loveless - 1-3/BB

GCL Blue Jays (27-32)

GCL Yankees 3, GCL Blue Jays 2

The GCL Blue Jays also lost in ten innings last night, and they are now sitting in the basement of their division in the Gulf Coast League and are five games back of first place.

  • Daniel Lietz - 3IP/1H/0ER/1BB/4K
  • Steve Delabar - 1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/0K, WHERE ARE THE K'S STEVE?! THROW THESE KIDS THE CHAIR.
  • Chad Beck - 1IP/2H/0ER/0BB/2K
  • Jacob Brentz - 1IP/0H/0ER/0BB/1K
  • Connor Greene - 3IP/3H/1ER/2BB/3K, also picked off a runner at first.
  • Alejandro Solarte - 0.1IP/2H/1ER/0BB/0K
  • Rolando Segovia - 1-4/BB/CS/PO
  • Edwin Fuentes - 2-5/2SO, also made a throwing error.
  • Gabriel Cenas - 0-2
  • Rowdy Tellez - 2-3/2BB, .316/.395/.500 in his last ten.
  • Dan Jansen - 1-5/RBI
  • Josh Almonte - 1-4/2SO
  • Andres De Aza - 1-4