Blue Jays top catching prospect A.J. Jimenez sidelined with lingering elbow nerve irritation

A.J. Jimenez - USA TODAY Sports

As the Buffalo Bisons prepare for their final home game of the regular season, they announced several roster changes via a media release, including the placement of catcher A.J. Jimenez on the temporary inactive list. Shi Davidi, who I believe is in Buffalo, reports that Jimenez is suffering from nerve irritation in his right (throwing) elbow, the same elbow that was repaired via Tommy John surgery last season.

The placement on the temporary inactive list, a minor leagues-only transaction that's used for short-term absences, is possibly a sign that the injury is too extensive--at least not extensive enough to be placed on the seven-day disabled list. Jimenez told Davidi that he just needs some time off and could be back as soon as Friday. Jimenez was a candidate to be called up when the Blue Jays' rosters expand on Sunday and still could be, depending on the level of comfort he has throwing the ball.

Since Sean Ochinko was suspended earlier this week, catcher Jack Murphy was called up from double-A New Hampshire to backup Mike Nickeas. In another roster move, Tommy Hottovy was placed on the seven-day disabled list and Chien-Ming Wang was activated after his outright to Buffalo. Yesterday, the Bisons added Luis Perez onto their roster as a major league rehabber.

The Buffalo Bisons also announced their team awards today:

  • Stan Barron Most Valuable Player Award: Mauro Gomez
  • Warren Spahn Most Valuable Pitcher: Justin Germano
  • Judge Michael Dillon Comeback Player of the Year: Chien-Ming Wang (named comeback player of the year since he keeps "coming back" to down to the Bisons)
  • Frank J. "Fremo" Vallone Community Service Award: Anthony Gose
  • Joe DeSa Most Inspirational Player Award: Mike Nickeas
  • Jimmy Griffin Hometown Hero Award: Jim Negrych