Itching Post Saturday Aug 3, 2013 Links

Ump making case for instant replay and or laser eye surgery - Jonathan Moore

The Rally Monkey got the Jays. At least that what I think happened. A bunch of posts for your reading and visual pleasure.

GAME RECAP

Blue Jays lose late in L.A. | Toronto Star
The Star's Recap of Lousy Game: Redmond struggles vs. Angels. Reyes, Bonifacio, Encarnacion caught stealing early. Cabrera MRI inconclusive.

JAYS LINKS

The Blue Jay Hunter: Flashback Friday: The Blue Jays/Yankees Brawl at Yankee Stadium
The night Jesse Carlson became a hero to Jays Fans and Posada became another word for crybaby.

MLB LINKS

Six reasons to keep paying attention to baseball: Griffin | Toronto Star
If you are a fan of baseball rather than just one team, there are plenty of reasons why this current season remains fascinating.

Cooperstown Confidential: the saga of Shaky Joe Grzenda
He has a strange name, but his story is worth hearing.

Examining Grips with Dan Straily | FanGraphs Baseball
Pitching grips with Straily.

Memo to umpires: get over yourselves: Kelly | Toronto Star
An article much like Angel Hernandez's Strike Zone... confusing: When A.J. Burnett questioned a pitch that was called a ball Tuesday night, umpire Eric Cooper actually charged the mound. You couldn’t make this up.

Learn French from a 1991 Edition of Expos Magazine! | NotGraphs Baseball
Parlez vous Francais?

The Worst of the Best: The Week(s)’s Wildest Swings | FanGraphs Baseball
No Jays this week.

The Worst of the Best: The Week(s)’s Wildest Pitches | FanGraphs Baseball
The Jays didn't see this Garrett Richards.

Thurman Munson In Sun And Shade
Today is the 34th anniversary of Thurman Munson's death. This was originally published in the September 1999 issue of Esquire. Reprinted here with the author's permission.

BEAR AND POT LINKS FROM DEADSPIN

Wildlife Camera Captures Bear Party That You Wish You'd Been Invited To
These bears, man. Just get a load of these bears--each one perfectly inhabiting the happy-go-lucky persona that has been fleshed out for it by countless Disney movies and children's cartoons.

How A Stoned Canadian Changed Sports History
Ross Rebagliati was happy to piss into a cup.

TODAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY

Baseball History - August 3rd - National Pastime - Baseball History
1948 Negro League legend Satchel Paige makes his major league debut hurling seven innings to lead the Indians over the Senators, 5-3.

1967 Manager Alvin Dark is fired and outfielder/White Sox Homer Ken "Send'em to the Minors" Harrelson is released by A's owner Charlie Finley due to reports of rowdy behavior on a team flight.