It's the last day of August (my dad's birthday, Happy Birthday Dad!), so tomorrow we can add some extra players. Who would you like to see the Jays call up?
Looking at the Jays 40-man roster, by my count we have 39 players on it so there is room for one to be added. Plus Melky Cabrera and Josh Johnson could be moved to the 60-day DL without worry. So if you want to pick someone that isn't on the 40-man at the moment, we have room. We could used some pitchers. We really could use another outfielder but there isn't anyone on the 40-man that isn't on the active roster or injuries.
- Ricky Romero: Shi Davidi talked about him here. No I wouldn't call him up, sorry Ricky.
- Steve Delabar has started rehab, not that he's really a September call up. He'll be up soon.
- Dustin McGowan has started rehab. He'll be up.
- Luis Perez has pitched 7.2 rehab innings, he'll be up soon.
- Mickey Storey has been up a couple of times, this season, he's an easy choice.
- Kyle Drabek has a 3.77 ERA in 14.1 innings, with just 2 walks and 12 strikeouts, in Buffalo, I'd call him up.
- Drew Hutchison has a 6/46 ERA in 15.1 innings, 21 hits, 5 walks, 15 strikeouts, in Buffalo. I'd let him finish the season in Buffalo.
- Sean Nolin has a 1.53 ERA in 3 Buffalo starts, since being moved up. I'd like to see him get a couple more starts in Toronto.
- Jeremy Jeffress has a 1.37 era in 26.1 innings, 13 walks, 28 strikeouts in Buffalo. In his last 10 appearances, he's only allowed 1 walk. I'd like to see him called up. He'd have to be added to the 40-man.
- Marcus Stroman has a 3.47 ERA in 19 New Hampshire starts, 103.2 innings, 27 walks, 118 strikeouts. He's have to be added to the 40-man. He'll only be up if the Jays want him to make a couple of starts in the majors.
The only catcher that's not on the active roster, who is on the 40-man is A.J. Jimenez. He's on the temporary inactive list, with 'elbow irritation'. If the injury isn't too bad, he'd be the one. If it is bad, then Mike Nickeas will be added to the 40-man and he'll be the one.
The only infielder on the 40-man not on the active roster is Mauro Gomez. He was Buffalo's MVP. I'd call him up as a prize for winning that award and a bat on the bench would be a good thing to have.
The Jays won't call up all those guys. Delabar and McGowan are coming up tomorrow. I'd guess a catcher, and then maybe a couple more guys next week. I would like to see more players.
Who would you call up?