Melky Cabrera Placed on (Revocable) Waivers!!!1

USA TODAY Sports

According to numerous reports Melky Cabrera has been placed on revocable waivers. Cabrera is currently on the 15-day DL with knee problems and shame, but can still be traded after he clears waivers. Many teams could use an immobile left fielder such as the Braves or Red Sox. Speculation has hit a fever pitch about where he will end up when the dust settles.

Agreed Brendan, something seems very fishy about this waiver placement. Little known fact about revocable waivers though is that you can take the player off of them if they're claimed, but that's not important. The elephant in the room is whether this is the waving of the white flag by Alex Anthopoulos that this free agent signing hasn't panned out and now he's trying to dump Cabrera's fairly affordable contract on an unsuspecting team.

Melky Cabrera could be the first of many players placed on waivers by the Blue Jays as they prepare for a August fire sale to restart the process of building this team from the ground up. You'd have to think the Blue Jays beat writers would hear whisperings of what players Toronto is trying to get rid of:

Crap.

Just so everyone's clear, this waiver placement is not important as every single Blue Jays player will be placed on them to gauge the interest of the other teams in the league. If a trade can't be agreed on in August, it could always be picked up again in the off-season. None of the Blue Jays players will be lost to waivers as they will be revoked immediately.