Blue Jays 6 Angels 5: 9th inning rally gets the Jays a win

JP's graceful slide - Jonathan Moore

Blue Jays 6 Angels 5

Well, I really had considered golf over baseball, but am so glad I went.

That 9th inning was a lot of fun. Course, Brett Lawrie almost spoiled the fun before it really got going. Brett got too far off 2nd base on a Jose Reyes missed bunt attempt and the Angels had him dead in a rundown but he managed to slide into 2nd, avoiding the tag. The call looked right from my seat, and I had a great view, but Mike Scioscia came out and argued.

To go to the start of the inning, down by one in the ninth, Lawrie lead off with a single and J.P. Arencibia's lack of speed paid off when he wasn't fast enough to get out of the way on an inside pitch. Jose Reyes tried to bunt but missed and then popped out to right. Rajai Davis hit into a force out at third, making JP the lead runner at second base. Jose Bautista hit a ground single to left and JP motored home. The guy isn't fast but the throw was up the third base line. His slide wasn't really a thing of beauty but he scored. Edwin Encarnacion singled home Rajai to give us our first lead of the game.

All that misses out the pitching changes that Scioscia put us through. He used 7 pitchers in the last two innings. Over managing at it's best.

Casey Janssen pitched a clean 9th to get his 19th save.

We had also scored 2 runs in the 8th. Singles from Davis, Bautista and Maicer Izturis and a throwing error by Angels 3B Chris Nelson got us the runs. We had our first 2 run inning in the third, consecutive two out singles by Reyes, Davis, Bautista and Encarnacion counted the two.

Mark Buehrle wasn't great. he was hit hard and often. He did get us 6 inning, but allowed 7 hits (including 3 doubles and home runs from Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo) and 5 earned runs. But our bullpen was great. 1.1 scoreless from Neil Wagner, 2 quick strikeouts from Brett Cecil and Janssen's save.

Jays of the Day were Bautista (.449), Encarnacion (.395),Janssen (.188 WPA), Izturis (.100) and JP (.118, 0 for 3 but he was smart enough to be hit by pitch, normally I wouldn't give a JoD for that, but he also didn't throw any balls into the outfield.

Suckage: Buehrle (-.366), Reyes (-.151, even though he was 2 for 5), Lind (-.157, 0 for 4 against lefties) and Rasmus (-.151, also 0 for 4, mostly against lefties).

I need to go find food, I had a bad stomach earlier, so missed out on breakfast and figured ballpark food was the last thing I needed so hungry now.