Blue Jays 3 Mariners 1: Mark DeRosa hits game winning pinch-hit single

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 Mariners 1

It is so nice when Gibby does the right thing and it works. In the 8th inning, with the bases loaded, the Mariners brought in their lefty reliever Oliver Perez to face Adam Lind. Gibby, did the right thing and pinch-hit with Mark DeRosa. Mark singled, driving in 2, giving the Jays the lead.

To start the 8th, Brett Lawrie tripled and Jose Reyes singled to tie it up. All the Jays' offense came in the inning.

R.A. Dickey had one of his best starts of the season. He went 7.2 innings, the first Jay starter to pitch into the 8th this road trip and allowed just one run, a solo homer from Justin Smoak, in the bottom of the 7th, giving the M's a short lived lead. Dickey did allow 8 hits, but 6 were singles, 2 walks and had 5 strikeouts. I wish more of our pitchers would pitch into the 8th inning. Aaron Loup got the last out of the 8th and Casey Janssen pitched a clean 9th, all three outs hit to first baseman Mark DeRosa, to get his 20th save.

The Jays had 7 hits, 3 for Brett Lawrie (just a home run short of the cycle) and 2 from Jose Reyes. Jose Bautista 8th inning single and Mark DeRosa's game winner rounded out the hits for the Jays.

Jays of the Day: DeRosa (.355 WPA), Lawrie (.265), Reyes (.164) and Dickey (.139).

Suckage: Davis (-.160, 0 for 4, k), Thole (-.148, 0 for 3), Izturis (-.113, 0 for 4) and Rasmus (-.102, 0 for 4, 2 k).

It is nice to see Lawrie making good contact again. I wish JP and half a dozen others would follow his lead. Brett has his average up to ,233.

Off to bed, been a long day, went to Disneyland today. Tomorrow, taking a drive up the California coast, then home Wednesday. Been a fun trip.