J.A. Happ activated, Michael Schwimer designated for assignment

Sarah Glenn

Things have not gone schwimmingly for Michael Schwimer since he was acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies for Art Charles, a minor leaguer with raw power. Schwimer, standing at 6'8 with two partial seasons of major league experience, was brought over mainly to provide the triple-A Buffalo Bisons with relief pitching and to provide the Blue Jays with some bullpen depth. However, he had been injured most of the season with back issues stemming from a spring training strain. Interestingly, last season he complained that the Phillies had optioned him to AAA instead of placing him on the disabled list because he claimed to have an elbow problem.

J.A. Happ was activated from the 60-day disabled list and has taken Schwimer's place on the 40-man roster. He has been placed on the 25-man roster to take Todd Redmond's Steve Delabar's spot. Happ has not pitched in the majors since May 7 when he injured his knee falling after being hit in the had with a comebacker. He has made five minor league rehab starts since mid-July, three with the Bisons. In his last outing he reached 103 pitches, but gave up three runs on six hits and three walks in 4.2 innings. He did strike out six.

Happ is the probable starter for Wednesday afternoon's game against the Mariners.