Mark DeRosa Claimed on Waivers (Updated: Not Being Moved)

You've been claimed! - USA TODAY Sports

Veteran infielder Mark DeRosa was claimed on waivers today by a mystery team according to a tweet by Ken Rosenthal. DeRosa has a slash line of .231/.317/.448 this year in 61 games, but his poor defense means he still has a negative WAR. Against left-handed pitching he actually has an OBP of .352 and could be a valuable bench player for a contending team.

Here's the tweet:

Mark DeRosa has about $230,000 left on his $750,000 contract this year according to MLB Trade Rumors with a team-friendly $750,000 team option next year. It will be interesting to see if Alex Anthopoulos finds DeRosa to be expendable with such a surplus of infielders already.

As Rosenthal says, the Blue Jays have until tomorrow to pull him back, which is what usually happens with claimed players in August, trade him, which is how Jose Bautista was acquired, or let him go, which is how the Blue Jays cut bait with Alex Rios.

What would you like to see the Blue Jays do with this situation?

UPDATE (Minor Leaguer)

Looks like Mark DeRosa will remain a Blue Jay....