Dog Days Friday Aug 9, 2013 Links

Otto Greule Jr

The Jays come back home from what could have been a disastrous 10 game West Coast road trip (thanks to the Angels) at .500 which isn't bad at all. Who would have thought that the Jays would beat the A's for 2 of 3, Seattle's Iwakuma and Hernandez? I didn't although I thought they really could have taken the Angles (sic) for 3 of 4 but what do I know? Apparently not much.

JAYS LINKS

Toronto Blue Jays vs. Oakland A's: MLB series preview | Toronto Star
The A’s have lost their last three series and are now in a first-place tie with Texas.

Dominican Jays put Latin drug connection into context: Griffin | Toronto Star
Jose Bautista, Jose Reyes, Edwin Encarnacion offer help to more than 100 Spanish-speaking players in Jays system.

The Blue Jay Hunter: The Alternate 2013 Blue Jays Timeline
Ian fires up OOTP and looks at the sadness.

Experience Michigan: It's all about quality food at Cooley Law School Stadium with the Lansing Lugnuts | MLive.com
The Lansing Lugnuts experience is all about the food!

MLB LINKS

Alex Rodriguez’s surprisingly good play making it tough on Yankees | Toronto Star
If Rodriguez keeps looking like this, they can forget those grand illusions of collecting insurance money on the remaining $96 million of his contract. Note: HA!

Alex Rodriguez should admit mistakes, says Pete Rose | Toronto Star
Pete Rose: ‘We have to get these people to understand that if you make mistakes, people will forgive you if you come forward.’ Note: Pete has a point although it took him some 20 or so years to get there.

MLB: Roy Halladay step closer to return | Toronto Star
Former Blue Jays ace throws bullpen session, set for simulated game in Florida.

OTHER STUFF LINKS

Pitcher Hits Batter In Head; Batter Fires Bat Back At Pitcher
Not a great camera angle, we know. But it's the best look we're going to get at what triggered a brawl Saturday night during a Far West League game between the Humboldt Crabs and the California Warriors. Take a close look at how the batter reacts to getting plunked by that pitch. It's safe to say he didn't appreciate it.

Who Killed Nugget II? Solving The Death Of Southern Miss's Mascot
Put on your David Caruso Sunglasses: The 1992 death of Nugget II, the University of Southern Mississippi's Golden Eagle, is cloaked in mystery. A federal investigation and autopsy revealed two possible causes of death: The eagle's body contained lead shotgun pellets, and it suffered from malnutrition. But no blame was ever assigned, and the case went cold. Until now.

Doug Gilmour Traded Away His Son
NHL Hall of Famer Doug Gilmour is the GM of the OHL's Kingston Frontenacs, and last year spent an eighth-round pick on his son Jake. The Gilmour genes only bought Jake a year--yesterday, Doug sent his son packing for basically nothing.

I don’t: Baseball team faked marriage proposal gone wrong | Toronto Star
The minor league baseball team in this city about 14 kilometres southwest of Hartford is acknowledging it staged a rejected marriage proposal as a publicity stunt.

TODAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY

Baseball History August 9th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1999 The Blue Jays bang out 25 hits in a 19-4 rout of the Rangers at The Ballpark in Arlington. The total, which includes six doubles and four home runs, establishes a new franchise mark for hits.

2002 At the age of 26 years and 182 days, Vladimir Guerrero hits his 200th career home run tying the Expos right fielder with Ken Griffey, Jr. as the second-youngest player to reach the 200 homer plateau. Alex Rodriguez is the youngest major leaguer to reach the 200 homer mark reaching the milestone in 25 years 290 days.

Watch Bill Murray And Harry Caray Kick Off The Cubs' First Night Game
Twenty-five years ago today, the Chicago Cubs and the Philadelphia Phillies played the first-ever night game at Wrigley Field.