Blue Jay pitchers in August

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

A quick look at how the Blue Jays' pitchers did in the month of August

The Blue Jays went 12-17 in August, surprisingly not their worst month of the season. We went 10-17 in April and 10-16 in July.

Our pitchers put up a 4.64 ERA, right around what they have been doing all season. The starters went 10-8 with a 4.67 ERA, the relievers 2-9 with a 4.58 ERA, their worst monthly ERA of the season.

  • R.A. Dickey: 3-1, 3.07 ERA. In 6 starts he pitched 44 innings, 39 hits, 5 home runs, 13 walks and 38 strikeouts. His best month of the season by far. By month he has allowed 5, 7, 5, 7, 5 home runs. Not hard to figure the next number in the pattern. I hope this month's is the Dickey we get next year.
  • Mark Buehrle: 4-0, 2.70 ERA. In 6 starts he pitched 40 innings, allowed 41 hits, 4 home runs, 10 walks and 30 strikeouts. He's had a great couple of months, 2.75 ERA in July. He needs just 21 more innings to get to 200 again. Again, I hope this is the Buehrle we get next year.
  • Josh Johnson: 1-1, 7.36 ERA. In 2 starts he pitched 7.1 innings before going on the DL. He allowed 15 hits, 1 home run, 4 walks and 6 strikeouts. Ummmm I hope this is the Josh Johnson someone else gets next year? I don't know what to think about Johnson. I don't know what sort of contract he'd get as a free agent.
  • J.A. Happ: 1-2, 6.15 ERA. In 5 starts he pitched 26.1 innings, 25 hits, 4 home runs, 13 walks and 22 strikeouts. He had 1 good start this month, 7 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned against Oakland.
  • Todd Redmond: 1-1, 4.88 ERA. In 5 starts he pitched 24 innings, 27 hits, 2 home runs, 10 walks and 27 strikeouts. He had 4 pretty good starts and 1 really bad start. The bad one he allowed 7 earned in 3.1 innings. The other 4 he allowed 6 earned in 22.2 innings. There is something to like about a starter that gets more than a strikeout an inning.
  • Esmil Rogers: 0-2, 7.66 ERA. In 5 games, 4 starts, he pitched 22.1 innings, allowed 32 hits, 8 home runs, 7 walks, 16 strikeouts. That's a bunch of home runs. One of his 4 starts were good, he went 6 innings, allowing just 1 run, against the Red Sox. If you are only going to have 1 good start, make it against the Sox.
  • Casey Janssen: 0-1, 8 saves, 4.22 ERA. 11 games, 10.2 innings, 13 hits, 1 home run (just his second home run allowed this season), 3 walks, 6 strikeouts. Batters hit .302/.345/.442 against him. His worst month and he still put up 8 saves and didn't have a blown save. He only allowed runs in 2 games. He game up 1 run to Oakland on August 10th, but still got the save and his next appearance, on the 12th he came into a tied game and gave up 4 runs, against the A's again. He hasn't looked great but then he hasn't blown any saves, so we can be pretty happy.
  • Aaron Loup: 0-3, 3 holds, 4.76 ERA. 11 games, 11.1 innings, 13 hits, 1 home run, 4 walks, 10 strikeouts. Batters hit .289/.347/.422 against him. Easily his worst month of the season. He's pitched in 55 games, maybe he's a little overworked.
  • Brett Cecil: 1-0, 4 holds, 1 blown save, 4.32 ERA. 10 games, 8.1 innings, 10 hits, 1 home run, 2 walks, 11 strikeouts. Much better than his July. Batters hit .303/.378/.455 against him. August wasn't as bad as July for Brett. Gibby was saying that he was overworked and that he would be used more as a LOOGY the rest of the way.
  • Darren Oliver: 0-2, 2 holds, 5.79 ERA. 10 games, 9.1 innings, 11 hits, 1 home runs, 4 walks and 9 strikeouts. Batters hit .297/.366/.459 against him. He allowed runs in 3 of his 10 appearances His worst month in a pretty lousy season. In retrospect, he should have retired.
  • Neil Wagner: 0-1, 3 holds, the loss was a blown save, 2.92 ERA. 9 game, 12.1 innings, 10 hits, 2 home runs, 3 walks and 12 strikeouts. Batters hit .213/.260/.404 against him. Up and down to Buffalo so much I'm never sure where he is, unless he is actually on the mound at the moment.
  • Brad Lincoln: 1-1, 3.60. 9 games, 10 innings, 9 hits, 1 home runs, 9 walks, 6 strikeouts. Batters hit .237/.383/.368 against him. I'd like to see him get a start or two. Can't be worse than Happ and Rogers. 9 walks in 10 innings is not pretty. Maybe he could be worse.
  • Sergio Santos: 0-0, 3 holds, 1 blown save, 2.38 ERA. 12 games, 11.1 innings, 6 hits, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts. Batters hit .158/.195/.237 against him. I hope he is healthy next year.
  • Juan Perez: 0-0, 9.95. He got into 3 games, before hitting the DL, this month. 6.1 innings, 7 hits, 1 home runs, 5 walks and 7 k.
  • Steve Delabar: 0-1, 27.00 ERA. Pitched just the one time, 1 inning, before going on the DL. It seemed funny he went on the DL just 4 days after pitching the 9 pitch/3 strikeout inning.

Thad Weber, Mickey Storey and Chien-Ming Wang also pitched once each in August.