Colby Rasmus and Edwin Encarnacion are back in Blue Jays lineup

USA TODAY Sports

A few hours before the game on Friday afternoon, the Toronto Blue Jays announced that Colby Rasmus was activated from the disabled list and he and teammate Edwin Encarnacion will be in the starting lineup in center field for the game against the Baltimore Orioles.

The centre fielder was sidelined with an oblique problem for a month and last played on his 27th birthday--August 11. It was rumoured earlier this month that Rasmus would not be able to return this season, but it looks like he felt good after taking batting practice this week.

Edwin Encarnacion, who also had been taking swings the past few days after a wrist issue forced to sit since last Sunday, will be the designated hitter, batting third, according to this lineup tweeted out by Sportsnet's Barry Davis.

He has a couple of centre fielders in there--I assume that Anthony Gose will be playing in left with Rasmus in centre. Munenori Kawasaki will be playing and batting second after going 3-for-3 with two walks, one of which came from a fantastic ten-pitch two-out plate appearance in the ninth. Brett Lawrie, who had been hitting third, gets bumped down to fifth (for lefty-righty matchups). Fan favourite J.P. Arencibia is back after Josh Thole got consecutive starts.

That lineup, which will face the Orioles' Jason Hammel, sure looks a lot better than the ones we had to deal with this week.

In This Article

Teams