Always the Spoiler Never the Spoiled Sunday Sept 15, 2013 Links

Tom Szczerbowski

Yesterday the Jays played the role of spoiler with a come from behind win against the Orioles. On the plus side, no bullpen blow up and Casey pitched a little better than he has in a while and Moises played well.

GAME RECAPS

Rasmus' homer powers Blue Jays past Orioles - Sportsnet.ca
Sportsnet's Recap:  Colby Rasmus homered for the second day in a row as the Toronto Blue Jays got to Baltimore ace Chris Tillman and defeated the Orioles 4-3 Saturday afternoon.

Orioles fall to Blue Jays, 4-3, failing to build any momentum in their playoff chase - baltimoresun.com
The opposition's sadder recap:  Colby Rasmus' two-run homer off Chris Tillman in the seventh inning Saturday evening gave the Blue Jays a 4-3 win over the Orioles at Rogers Centre.

Rasmus, Blue Jays edge Orioles | Toronto Star
The Star's Recap:  Colby Rasmus goes deep again. Jays only team in majors with five 20-homer men.

JAYS LINKS

Blue Jays Can Put AL East On Notice - Jays Journal - A Toronto Blue Jays Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
With a strong close to the season, the Toronto Blue Jays can serve notice on the rest of the American League East.

Toronto Blue Jays' prospect Matt Dean shows big improvements in Bluefield - Jays Journal - A Toronto Blue Jays Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
Many people wrote off Matt Dean after a rough start to his professional baseball career. After a huge 2013 campaign, he's out to prove the doubters wrong.

Jays Notebook: Lind still hitting his stride - Sportsnet.ca
Adam Lind had three 20-home run seasons to his name entering the year, but reaching the milestone for the fourth time was a little different for the 30-year-old.

MLB LINKS

Chris Davis' key numbers during this historic 2013 season - baltimoresun.com
Orioles first baseman Chris Davis tied the franchise record for homers in a season with his 50th home run on Friday night. His next home run will pass with Brady Anderson's team mark set in 1996.

Buck Showalter's 'managerial magic' hasn't been the same in 2013 - baltimoresun.com
There have been long periods in 2013 when Buck Showalter's managerial magic has been as hard to find as an eight-inning start or a clutch hit with the bases loaded.  Note:  The hangover from pixie dust is harsh and unrelenting.

The strike zone advantage for the home team
Looking at strike zone differences for home and away teams in critical game states.

NFL.com meddles in concussion concerns of Major League Baseball - Yahoo Sports
From Yahoo Sports: With more focus being placed on concussions and other head injuries as we begin to understand their impact on the longterm health of professional athletes, it should come as no surprise that the NFL's official website published an article on that very topic on Friday afternoon.  Note:  This is called Concern Trolling.

TODAY IN GOLD GLOVER HISTORY

Baseball History - September 15th - National Pastime - Baseball History
2010 Derek Jeter, giving a performance worthy of an Oscar, is awarded first base when the umpires determine the New York shortstop was hit by a pitch thrown by Chad Qualls. Video replay of the at-bat, that clearly shows the fastball hit the knob of the bat, prompts a national debate about the ethics demonstrated by the usually squeaky-clean Yankees captain, who admitted after the 4-3 loss to Tampa that he pretended to get hit by the pitch to get on base.

2010 At Fenway Park, Jose Bautista establishes a new Blue Jay record for home runs in a season when he hit his 48th, a two-run blast on a 3-2 fastball thrown by Michael Bowden. The 29-year old outfielder, who has never gone deep more than 16 times in year, breaks the mark established by George Bell in 1987.