Who's Up, Who's Down On the Blue Jays In the Last Two Weeks, September 1 to 15: Batters

Munenori performs the Vulcan mind meld on Moises - Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The Blue Jays were 6-7 over this period. We won a series in Arizona and swept the Twins, but then came home and get swept by the Angels and lost the series to Baltimore.

Batters

Arrow_down_3

J.P. Arencibia

J.P. played in 11 of the 13 games, starting 9. He's not having a good month, just two singles. Batting a big .061/.114/.061, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts in 33 at bats. The good news is he's been throwing from his feet and threw out runners to end two games in the last little while. I don't know, normally I'd guess a player was hiding an injury, if he was hitting this poorly. Perhaps he is. Catchers get beat up as the season goes along.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Edwin Encarnacion

Now here is a guy that has been battling an injury. He played in 9 games. He hit .226/.359/.516, with 3 doubles, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, 6 walks and 6 strikeouts. Really, still pretty good.

Arrow_down_3

Ryan Goins

Ryan played in all 13 games, starting 9. He hit .132/.132/.184 with no RBI, no walks and 8 strikeouts. I really love his glove, and it isn't like Izturis was going to win the batting title, but he's going to have to hit some better than this.

Arrow_up_3

Jose Reyes

Jose started all 13 games. He hit .291/.328/.473 with 7 doubles, 1 home runs, 4 RBI, 3 walks, 2 k and 2 stolen bases. He is fun to watch. He's also looking a little better in the field, the last little bit. His ankle must be some better.

Arrow_down_3

Brett Lawrie

Brett started all 13 games too. He hit .241/.255/.315 with 1 double, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts, 1 stolen base. He hit great in August, not so much, thus far, in September.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Anthony Gose

He played in all 13 games, started 11. He hit .250/.250/.500 with 1 double, 3 triples (one of them should have been called an error, but then, no one else on the team would have made it to third on that), 1 home run, 6 RBI, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts, 0 stolen bases, 1 caught. His last 6 games have been better, .318/.318/.545. I'd like to see him take a walk or two.

Arrow_up_3

Moises Sierra

Moises started 11 games. He hit .410/.425/.795 with 10 doubles, 1 triple, 1 double (4 singles), 9 RBI, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts, 1 steal. His bat has been terrific. I wouldn't mind seeing the odd walk, but when you are making good contact, every swing, why walk? In the field, he's not so good. we do have a tendency to think it is all easy, but he should be able to improve.

Arrow_down_3

Kevin Pillar

Kevin played in 9 games, starting 7. He hit .136/.136/.182 with 1 double, 2 RBI, 0 walks and 5 strikeouts. He hit so well in the minors this year, likely needs time to adapt to the majors. Good defense.

Arrow_up_3

Adam Lind

Adam played in 12 games, starting 10. He hit .263/.333/.684 with 5 home runs, 1 double, 11 RBI, 4 walks, and 9 strikeouts. Nice to see him hitting with power.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Rajai Davis

He played in 10 games, starting 9. He hit .216/.256/.514, 3 home runs, 1 triple, 6 RBI, 2 walks, 11 strikeouts, 1 steal and 1 time caught. The power is nice. I'd rather he got on base more but who can complain about home runs. The misplays in the outfield are hard to take..

Arrow_up_3

Colby Rasmus

Comes off the DL, plays 2 games, hits 2 home runs. 3 for 7 in the two games, 3 RBI, 1 strikeout.

Arrow_up_3

Munenori Kawasaki

Munenori played in 7 games, starting 3. He hit .285/.375/.357, with 1 double, 2 RBI, 2 walks and 5 strikeouts. Really, we couldn't ask for much more than that.

Arrow_up_3

Mark DeRosa

Mark only played in 4 games, starting 3. He did hit, .400/.500/.400, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 k.

Arrow_down_3

Josh Thole

He played 5 games, starting 4. Hit .154/.154/.154 with 1 strikeout. If he was hitting at all, he'd be playing a lot more.