Jays place Brett Cecil and Edwin Encarnacion on DL

Thearon W. Henderson

Well, that's the sort of season it has been:

Edwin isn't a surprise, he's been sore for awhile, no sense pushing it. He had a great season.

Update: Edwin is having surgery on Thursday.

I hadn't heard about Brett, but he hasn't looked as good in the second half. He's had an ERA over 5 since the All-Star break. It does have me wondering if the weighted ball things is the be all and end all, but then many pitchers suffer from elbow discomfort at some point of the season. And, I'm sure, that if we were in the race, Brett would tough it out.

Course, in a week we'll be hearing that he is going to visit Dr. He Who Can't Be Named.

Update: Brett is having a 'precautionary MRI'. Oh good.

Edwin finishes the season with 36 home runs, 104 RBI, both leading the team and a  .272/.370/.534 slash line. Fangraphs has him at a 4.1 WAR, third on the team, Just behind Colby Rasmus .4.3 and Jose Bautista 4.2.

Brett Cecil finishes 5-1, with 1 save and 11 holds. A 2.82 ERA and a 1.0 WAR. He struck out 10.38 per 9 innings.

I hope they both come into next season ready to go.