Blue Jays 2 White Sox 3: J.P. Arencibia homers in a losing cause

Jonathan Daniel

Blue Jay 2 White Sox 3

Well, when you have teams playing a makeup game, late in the season, when both have long since been eliminated from any shot at the playoffs, you don't expect a great game. And this wasn't a great game. But then White Sox manager Robin Ventura managed the last 2 innings like it was a playoff game, using 3 relievers to get the last 2 outs of the 8th.

J.A. Happ struck out the side, around two singles in the first inning. The second inning didn't go so well, he gave up a 1-out, 2-run home runs to someone named Marcus Semien (who's name Buck couldn't pronounce when the game started). After that he gave up a single and 2 walks, and it looked like he was in for a short start. In the 5th inning he gave up a solo homer to Avisail Garcia, to start things off. He didn't have a 3 up, 3 down inning in his 5, but I guess the good part is he only game up 3 runs. It could have been a lot worse.

In all, 5 innings, 8 hits, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts. He wasn't impressive, and that's against a team that's 62-94, playing a handful of September call ups.

Jeremy Jeffress pitched the 6th and 7th innings and was very good, 0 hits, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. He has a 1.35 ERA in his handful of major league innings this year. I'd like to think he's earned a good look next spring. Steve Delabar pitched a clean 8th with a strikeout.

On offense, we didn't do much, 6 hits, 2 of them from Ryan Goins.

J.P. Arencibia hit a solo homer to lead off the 5th. Then in the 8th, Kevin Pillar led off with a double and Goins singled him home. That was it for our scoring. Moises Sierra did lead off the 9th with a walk. Moises has a nice batting line, 307/.367/.511 in his 29 games in the majors this year.

It's nice to see JP hit a homer, he looked so lost at the plate. His batting average is still under .200 at .196. I hope, for his sake, he can have a little hot streak to finish off the season. He also made an error on a softly hit ball, he had a hard time picking the ball up after it stopped rolling, seemingly getting in too much of a hurry, when he didn't need to be rushing.

Ryan Goins gets JoD for his .115 WPA. I'm giving an honorable mention to Jeffress.

Suckage goes to Lawrie (-.221, 0 for 4), Gose (-.181, 0 for 3, k) and DeRosa (-.109).