Blue Jays 3 Orioles 2: Mark DeRosa plays hero

Yet another injury - Patrick Smith

Blue Jays 3 Orioles 2 (10 innings)

So we played spoiled, ending the slight chance that the Orioles had of making the playoffs.

Mark DeRosa played hero, driving home the tying run in the 8th, with a 2-out single and then knocking in the winning with 2 outs in the 10th, bringing home Jose Reyes both times. It is nice to get some 2-out hits.

Reyes was almost picked off second, before DeRosa had a chance to drive him in. He got a little too far off second and Orioles reliever Francisco Rodriguez threw to second in plenty of time but Reyes was able to avoid the tag, or at least the umpire thought so.

Todd Redmond didn't have a great night. He gave up 8 hits and 2 walks, in 5.1 innings but only allowed 2 runs, on back-to-back home runs to start the 3rd inning. He only had one clean inning, the first. And, strangely for him, he only had 2 strikeouts.

Our bullpen did a great job, putting up 4.1 scoreless innings. Luis Perez came in with 2 on and 2 outs, and got out of the inning and got the first 2 outs of the 7th. Gibby pulled him when he game up a single and brought in Dustin McGowan to get the 3rd out, and he pitched a clean 8th, getting 2 strikeouts. Sergio Santos had a perfect 9th, with 2 strikeouts and got the win. Casey Janssen allowed just a 2-out single, in the 10th, picking up his 34th save.

On offense we had 9 hits. 2 each for Jose Reyes, Adam Lind and Mark DeRosa, who game into the game in the 8th to pitch hit for Lind. Munenori Kawasaki, Anthony Gose and Ryan Goins had a hit each. Ryan drove in our first run, with an infield single, that he just beat out. He was lucky that Orioles' starter Chris Tilman deflected and slowed his ground ball, but he deserves credit for running it out hard.

Being a Jays game, of course we had an injury. Moises Sierra sprained his ankle, stepping in a soft area on the turf while going back for a fly ball. We get the strangest injuries. He's day-to-day, but I figure that he's likely done for the year.

Jays of the Day are DeRosa (.548 WPA), Reyes (.205), Janssen (.208), Santos (.142) and McGowan (.131).

Suckage: Lawrie (-.370, 0 for 5, 2 k), Arencibia (-.228, 0 for 4, 2 k) and Pillar (-.161, 0 for 4, 2 k).

5 games to go.