Blue Jays to play two spring games in Montreal

Olympic Stadium - USA TODAY Sports

Earlier the Drunks told us it was likely that the Jays would announce tomorrow that they would play an exhibition game in Montreal and now Shi Davidi tells us:

Having just been in Montreal and at the Big O, I can tell you that they have their work cut out for them to get that place ready for major league baseball. It is a very depressing place, Olympic Stadium that is, not Montreal. Montreal was great, if you haven't been, you really should. And the train ride from Montreal to Ottawa was very nice. We should all make the trip to see those games.

Personally. I don't see why they don't just tear down that place, it is an ugly, costly, concrete mausoleum. But I think it is a good thing that the Jays play in Montreal and there isn't really anywhere else they could play. I'd love to go down there for the games. Don't expect the roof to be open though, it doesn't anymore, but with the number of tears in the roof, it might seem like it is open.

As a former Expos fan, I do have a bit of a hate for the Mets, since the Expos, in one of their dumber moves, traded Gary Carter to the them for the baseball equivalent of a bag of shinny beads. But then, Montrealers might storm the field if the opponent was the Nationals.

Anyway, great news for baseball in Montreal. It would be nice of the Jays would play a couple of spring games a year in different cities across Canada. I'm sure they would fill Nat Bailey Stadium in Vancouver. I'd love an exhibition game here in Calgary, though spring weather is too unpredictable here in March.

Great move Blue Jays. It will be the first major league ball in Montreal since the Expos last season, back in 2004. Time flies.