What Was The Biggest Blue Jays Story Of 2013?

Tom Szczerbowski

Hope you all are having a good start to 2014 today and are happy with the way you're previous year unfolded. One group of people who aren't too pleased about 2013 are the Blue Jays and I'm sure Alex Anthopoulos is glad to see the back of his most trying year at the helm. There was a lot of story lines that emerged in 2013 and (Spoiler Alert) they were all of the depressing nature. Below is a quick rundown of the year's events and the bold ones will be in the poll to decide what you folks think was the biggest story of the past 12 months.

January: Darren Oliver decided to give it one more shot at a World Series ring, which was unexpected at the time. The veteran was average at best for the team and obviously did not get the chance to pitch one more time in the playoffs. Josh Thole and Mark DeRosa joined the team as well. (Yours truly also starting writing here!)

February: Jack Morris was added to the commentary team, which most people around here weren't too happy about. Spring Training got off to a good start after the Blue Jays beat the Tigers in their first game.

March: Munenori Kawasaki was signed by the team and was joined on the squad by Todd Redmond. Brett Lawrie started the year on the disabled list.

April: The team got off to a rough start to the year and things were looking pretty dim. Jose Reyes got seriously injured and Munenori Kawasaki was called up to replace him. Former Blue Jays draft pick Jake Eliopoulos passed away as well.

May: Josh Johnson ended up on the disabled list and his season never really got better. J.A. Happ got a line drive to the head and made a tremendous recovery. Anthony Gose was recalled from Buffalo after Mickey Storey was sent down. Brett Lawrie went to the disabled list after an awkward slide.

June: The draft took place and the Blue Jays drafted (and failed to sign) Phil Bickford. Brandon Morrow hit the DL with soreness. The lone bright spot of the year occurred with an 11-game win streak in the middle of June.

July: Brandon Morrow's season came to an end after an injury plagued year. J.P. Arencibia got a little angry at theGregg Zaun and Dirk Hayhurst for comments they made about him. Brett Cecil, Steve Delabar, Jose Bautista, and Edwin Encarnacion made the All-Star team.

August: Kevin Pillar joined the team after Colby Rasmus went on the disabled list. Jose Bautista also went to the DL with hip soreness.

September: The season ended.

October: Kevin Seitzer became the Blue Jays hitting coach.

November: The Blue Jays did extend any qualifying offers, cutting ties with pitcher Josh Johnson after just one season. Mark DeRosa retired, leaving the Blue Jays with a lack of veteran presents.

December: Dioner Navarro signed with the Blue Jays after playing for the Cubs in 2013. J.P. Arencibia was non-tendered by the Blue Jays shortly after Navarro's arrival. Legendary Blue Jays pitcher Roy Halladay signed a one-day contract to retire with the team.