Alomar, Bell, Hentgen, and Quantrill will be Blue Jays guest instructors

US PRESSWIRE

Very minor things from the State of the Franchise.

We are two weeks away from the official opening of Blue Jays spring training, where fans will see some familiar names present in Dunedin as guest instructors, including Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomar, Sr., George Bell, Pat Hentgen, and Paul Quantrill. All five have previously been instructors at spring training. Roberto Alomar is a "special assistant to the organization", while Sandy Alomar, Sr., Bell, and Quantrill are all officially "consultants" to the Blue Jays. Hentgen, who decided to leave his bullpen coaching job to be closer to his ailing father, is still with the organization and will still help out with the pitchers this spring training.

Although Roy Halladay has agreed to be a guest instructor with the Phillies, the Blue Jays are still trying to have him in some capacity in spring training. I wrote about this possibility previously, but last night at the State of the Franchise, I got a confirmation that the Jays are actually working on it.

Non-Roster Invitees

In the brochure the Blue Jays handed out to attendees at the State of the Franchise event was an updated spring training roster with some non-roster invitees (NRIs) that have yet to be unveiled on BlueJays.com.

Uniform Number Updates
  • When Dioner Navarro arrived in Toronto, he was given #30, the number he has worn for the bulk of his career. Josh Thole was forced to change, and chose #22, displacing Kevin Pillar who wore that last season. Pillar will divide his old number by two and will wear Rajai Davis's old #11 in 2014.