FanPost

Dollars per win

Over at ESPN, Schoenfield has produced a list of teams, ranked by total wins over the last five years, along with their payrolls. Not surprisingly, the Yankees have the most wins and the highest payroll. Of course, the Rays have the fourth highest win total and one of the lower payrolls. The Jays, at the 18th highest win total, were around the middle of the pack. This got me curious, how much money do teams pay for wins? Which teams are the most efficient. So, here's the ranking of teams in terms of dollars per win (in millions of dollars, rounded to the second decimal place (ties were decided by going to the third decimal place), from least amount paid/win to most paid/win (with rank in total wins in parentheses):

1) SD = 0.65 (18T)

2) TAM = 0.67 (4)

3) PIT = 0.68 (26)

4) OAK = 0.72 (13)

5) MIA = 0.79 (25)

6) CLE = 0.91 (23T)

7) KC = 0.91 (27)

8) ARI = 0.94 (17)

9) CIN = 0.98 (10T)

10) ATL = 1.00 (3)

11) COL = 1.03 (20)

12) TEX = 1.03 (2)

13) WAS = 1.03 (16)

14) BAL= 1.07 (21)

15) MIL = 1.08 (14)

16) TOR = 1.12 (18T)

17) STL = 1.15 (5)

18) HOU = 1.15 (30)

19) MIN = 1.22 (22)

20) SEA = 1.26 (28)

21) SAN = 1.30 (9)

22) CHW = 1.38 (15)

23) DET = 1.44 (7)

24) LAD = 1.48 (10T)

25) LAA = 1.55 (12)

26) NYM = 1.62 (23T)

27) PHI = 1.68 (6)

28) CHC = 1.77 (24)

29) BOS = 1.78 (8)

30) NYY = 2.23 (1)

What does all of this tell us? Well, I'm not sure it tells us anything we didn't know. The Yankees win a lot, but they're not very efficient at it (in terms of dollars, anyway). The Rays are incredibly efficient with their wins, ranking 2nd overall in this measure, and fourth overall in total wins over the last five seasons. The Mets and the Cubs both spend huge amounts for low win totals. The Jays remain in the middle of the pack. I guess this suggests we haven't been particularly overspending or underspending for our wins, overall, relative to the league. Anyway, I suppose this data is open to interpretation. Let me know what you think.