Blue Jays moving Brent Morel to second base

Brent Morel, just so you can recognize him if he is sitting beside you on the TTC - USA TODAY Sports

In an off-season with very little news, MLB Trade Rumors, pointed us to this:

Because moving third basemen to second has worked so well for the Blue Jays recently. Just kidding.

This move makes sense. We are really thin at second, I'm not thrilled with the Ryan Goins/Maicer Izturis platoon at second. Morel hasn't played second in the majors and has a whole 2 games of experience at the position in the minors, but really it can't hurt to try. Morel isn't going to move Brett Lawrie off third base, but, if Goins doesn't figure out how to hit in the majors or if Izturis has a season like last year's, he might might have a shot at a job in the middle of our infield. Or he could be part of a whole new second base platoon with Munenori Kawasaki.

Not that Morel has a great track record against major league pitching, though before the 2011 season, Baseball America had him as the 85th best prospect in baseball. I guess it isn't only Blue Jays prospect that fail. Here's his MLB numbers:

Year Age Tm G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS Pos
2010 23 CHW 21 65 9 15 3 0 3 7 2 0 4 17 .231 .271 .415 .687 5
2011 24 CHW 126 413 44 101 18 1 10 41 5 4 22 57 .245 .287 .366 .653 *5
2012 25 CHW 35 113 14 20 2 0 0 5 4 1 7 39 .177 .225 .195 .420 5
2013 26 CHW 12 25 3 5 0 0 0 1 1 1 5 7 .200 .333 .200 .533 /53
4 Yrs 194 616 70 141 23 1 13 54 12 6 38 120 .229 .276 .333 .609
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 1/31/2014.

The same MLB Trade Rumors story points us to another Blue Jays related Tweet. This one from Jim Bowden:

We keep getting told this, but until we actually sign one of them, I'm not believing.