FanPost

Wish me luck BBB.

Today at 1pm Pacific time, I will be participating in an interview to become an intern with the Toronto Blue Jays Scouting Operations Department. I applied for the job when it was posted here on this site, and I figured I'd try my hand at it and just see what happens. Well, low and behold I made it past the first "cuts" and they asked me to write several short-answer questions based on asset management/WAR/subjective-objective analysis, among other things. That was probably one of the most enjoyable times I've had thinking and writing about baseball, because I finally got to have some brilliant baseball minds (MjwW notwithstanding) to bounce ideas off of, and get some tremendously valuable feedback potentially.

After I submitted those in early December, I spent every day checking my e-mail to see if I would get a follow-up response, and move onto the next stage of "cuts". I had for a week or two lost hope during December, not fully realizing that perhaps the people making decisions on this job had lives of their own and might have been on Christmas break with their families and/or significant other. Anyways, last Thursday I received an e-mail from Joe Sheehan (Baseball Information Analyst) asking me to interview for the position! I was floored. Literally. I laid on the floor exasperated for 20 minutes or so, not knowing what to do with the energy rushing through my body.

Originally, there were plans to fly me into Toronto, and interview for the position in person, something that excited me tremendously (obviously right?). Unfortunately, those plans quickly changed. Because not everybody that wanted to conduct an interview was in Toronto, I was put in touch with the coordinator of amateur scouting Harry Einbinder, and we planned a phone conference interview in lieu of meeting at Rogers Center.

Anyways, I'm on the brink of an anxiety attack. I've read and re-read every single baseball book I own (my baseball prospectus books are working overtime right now) in the past 4-5 days, and I can't help but feel overwhelmed. It goes without saying how great an opportunity this is, and more than anything I just don't want to fall flat on my face during this phone interview.

In conclusion, I wanted to say thanks to whomever posted that job application. I also wanted to thank all of the wonderfully brilliant writers on here that have helped advance my philosophies on baseball as much as any other media source. I know none of these exciting times for me would have been possible without all you folks demanding rationally coherent discourse out of me and others. I don't mean this to sound like an acceptance speech or something long and drawn out (considering I haven't accomplished anything), but this site offers me a vehicle to misdirect the mountain of stress building as the minutes creep closer to showtime.

If you would be so kind, wish me luck. Baseball gods willing, I'll have some positive news to report in the coming weeks.