FanPost

Who will be the LF on opening day?

With uncertainties about Melky Cabrera’s future with the club, and the Jays looking in on Markakis and recent rumours about Jay Bruce what does the future hold for the Blue Jays in left field. In this article I will cover the options and look at who is the most likely and who would be the best option.

There are still big question marks surrounding Melky Cabrera and his future with the Jays; it is generally seen that he is unlikely to return to Toronto with GM Anthopoulos saying there is a "good chance" he won’t be coming back in the Spring. Since coming to Toronto after his PED scandal he has been part of an incredibly productive Dominican four with Reyes, Bautista and Encarnacion. He was the only Blue Jay to hit over .300 in 14’ and is a committed guy who will be play every day even if he is slightly knocked up or as was true for him last season, with a tumor in his back! Personally, I would love to see him back in Toronto for obvious reasons, however I fear it is most likely for him to sign elsewhere on a Russell Martin type contract quite possibly even a lot bigger. He has stated that he would like to come back to Toronto but that means next to nothing as he will surely go wherever offers him the most money. If he hadn’t have had a PED scandal in San Francisco I would suggest that that would be a good fit for them considering Ishikawa plays left field like I do; poorly and Perez can’t hit. Too bad for them. If Baltimore fail to re-sign Markakis, Cabrera would be an option for them but I digress, there is a possibility more of a dream that Cabrera will return and the Jays will live happily ever after...

Pillar is the Jays home grown alternative but not the ideal choice. He hit .267/.295/.397 with only 4 walks in 122 plate appearances in 2014 and after his rookie season is perhaps not yet quite ready for the starting role. However, Pillar was named minor league player of the year for the Jays in 2014 whilst hitting .323/.359/.509 for Buffalo. This shows the strong potential waiting to be uncovered in the majors; he hit minor league pitching well but will need some time to develop against big league pitchers. Certainly a guy to look out for in years to come, I see him as a fourth outfielder to PH occasionally and to fill in if they want to DH Jose Bautista or as protection for injuries. If the Jays don’t sign anyone then he will start but I think that this is unlikely so I have penciled him as the replacement outfielder. The guy needs time to develop and if the Blue Jays really want a serious pennant bid considering Boston just signed Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval (they still lack in starting pitching though) to start with they must replace Cabrera with a better player than Pillar; not to say he isn’t talented.

Nick Markakis could be a tidy fit, he has been contacted by the Jays and if like seems probable Cabrera won’t return Markakis would be a good fix. However they aren’t seriously pursuing him (at the moment). The gold glover isn’t on the same level as Cabrera but would be a good degrade. Impeccable defense is to be expected of him and his hitting isn’t shabby either; he has reached at least 170 hits in all but 2 of his 9 years in the big leagues compared to Cabrera who has only reached 170 hits twice. In short, you know what you’re getting - consistency. The Orioles have to be the front runners to sign him and are trying to come to agreements with him but he would be a nice addition to the lineup and part of a dream outfield with Dalton Pompey in CF and Jose Bautista’s cannon in right. I would happily see Anthopoulos cash out on him but feel as though it is unlikely to materialise.

Other free agent fixes could be Nori Aoki of the royals coming of a rejuvenating year for that franchise. The Japanese right fielder hit .286/.349/.360 in 132 games in 2014. Like Markakis, he is a solid player who will give you good consistent at bats. Despite only hitting 43 RBIs and 1 HR he brings good value in hitting and on the basepaths with 17 stolen bases and is a solid outfielder. He would also add a much needed winning mentality to a team and city deprived of postseason baseball for an amount of time starting to become comparable with the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup drought (only starting to, don’t get mad Leafs fans, I feel your pain!). Russell Martin does have postseason experience but other than he the Jays woefully lack in those who have been there and done that in terms of the playoffs. Personally I would prefer Markakis but would definitely settle for Aoki.

Then there’s the latest talk of Jay Bruce... I really hope these are just talks. Bruce hit .217 last year; thats worse than Colby Rasmus for 2014! It’s even worse than Juan Francisco hit in 2014 - He’s just been designated for assignment by the way by the Red Sox - second chance anyone? We would not reconsider Rasmus in the outfield; we should not do the same with Bruce. Both had promising years hitting in the past but based on last years we don’t want to be stuck with them on a multi-year contract. I don’t think it changes much that he’s a left handed bat; he’s too risky despite having potential to put up big power numbers. Hopefully the Jays will look past Bruce and failing the miraculous signing of Cabrera look to either Markakis or Aoki.

But who do you think will be the Jays starting man in 2015?