One more off the board: A.J. Burnett signs with Phillies

Another pitcher that won't be a Blue Jay - Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

So there is another little fantasy signing that we can stop dreaming about, A.J. Burnett signed a one-year, $16 million contract, with the Phillies.

If the Jays are going to upgrade the starting rotation, and that's a big if, we are pretty much down to Ubaldo Jimenez and Ervin Santana...unless they want to take a flier on Suk-Min Yoon. With pitchers heading to Dunedin this week, if they are going to add, now is the time.

Maybe they will be looking at a pair of Cubans

Odrisamer Despaigne and Aledmys Diaz are having a showcase for major league teams. Despaigne is a right-handed pitch, 27, I don't think I'd want him jumping straight into the rotations

Diaz might be more interesting to the Jays:

Diaz, 23, has primarily been a shortstop in Cuba, but has generally received mixed reviews for his defense and may need to change positions. Scouts have raved about his potential to grow into a big bat, however. During the 2011-12 season -- his last before defecting -- Diaz hit .315/.404/.500 with 12 home runs.

We could use someone to play second base that has "potential to grow into a big bat".