FanPost

Former Jays manager Jim Fregosi dies

1966_252bjim_252bfregosi_252b_252528f_252529_medium

Six-time All Star and long-time manager Jim Fregosi suffered a serious of strokes when he was on vacation with his family and died early this morning with them at his side (after being taken off life support). He was only 71.

He managed the Jays in 1999 and 2000. He had a decent record with the Jays, 167-157 but had the misfortune of managing the Jays at a difficult moment in the franchise's history. Fregosi is probably better remembered for his role as the manager of the scrappy Phillies in 1993 that faced off against the Jays.

Even during his days with the Phillies, Fregosi seemed like a great guy: funny, gregarious and warm. Amazingly, he was in professional baseball for 53 years... he was a lifer.

Reflective of his sly spirit he once said of then Jays' DH Brad Fullmer: "He promised me he was going to hit a lot of doubles. He's starting to piss me off with all these homers."

Another choice quote was from his days in Philly, when he described a local sports talk radio show this way: "People who listen to WIP are a bunch of guys in South Philly that [fornicate with] their sisters and the people that work at WIP [fornicate with] their mothers."

Jim Ringolsby has a writeup here.