Blue Jays win the first spring game

Buehrle throws in the bullpen before the game. - Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 4 Phillies 3  (7 innings, and then the rain came)

Quick recap:

Happy thoughts:

  • Jose Bautista homer in the first (massive shot to left) and walked in the third.

Bautista-bomb_medium

via cdn1.sbnation.com

  • Brett Lawrie, Colby Rasmus and Moises Sierra all hit balls off the wall. Wind was blowing out, but still good hard contact
  • Adam Lind had a hard hit single, darn near taking out the pitcher Aumont.
  • Melky Cabrera singled and walked. He also scored from second on a singe. Didn't see him running much but looked some faster than last year, but still slow. Will have to keep watching.
  • Todd Redmond threw 2 very good innings, no hits, no walks, 1 k.
  • Neil Wagner pitched an inning, getting 3 k.
  • Dioner Navarro looked fine behind the plate. Did let a Happ pitch get past for a wild pitch, but didn't have much chance on it.

Less than happy thoughts (it is early, I'm not really worried about any of these, yet):

  • J.A. Happ threw 37 pitches in his 1 inning, he was to go 2 but threw too many in the first. There were a couple of soft ground balls that went for singles. If they had been outs, there would have been fewer pitches, but he still went to full counts too often. 4 hits, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts, 2 earned. He wasn't just throwing fastballs, there were curves and changeups.
  • Kyle Drabek walked 3 in 1.2 innings and looked to be falling off to the first base side.  He allowed 1 hit, 1 earned with a k.
  • 0 for 3 for Jose Reyes, and didn't show a lot of range, but went down the line quick on a ground out. 0 for 3 for Navarro and 0 for 2 for Ryan Goins.

Todd Redmond gets the win, Phillippe Aumont gets the loss. Chad Jenkins gets a save.

Tomorrow's game is on Sportsnet. R.A. Dickey is to start. Esmil Rogers is also to pitch.